Pondering stove pipe sizes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Gradoia

Oct 21, 2008
N 42.83432 W 73.48513
I've been thinking about this and was wondering if anyone out there has anything to contribute...

I have a Morso 3610 I've been burning for a few years now (6" stove pipe). Before it I had an old Coalbrookdale Darby (8" stove pipe). Both have relatively large fire boxes to them, the Morso actually may be a bit larger than the Darby was. On a few occasions I've read that you shouldn't hook up an old smoke dragon with an 8" outlet to a 6" chimney, and I accept that it doesn't meet code, it's the back puffing situation that puzzles me. Why is it that my Morso with two doors and just as large a fire box doesn't need an 8" pipe? Is it the design of the stove or does it have to do with the velocity of the chimney dimensions? An 8" pipe, while offering more volume can't be exhausting smoke as fast as a 6" pipe. I would think a well placed, tall, 6" chimney would be more effective than a similarly placed 8" stack.

What do you think?

Count Rumsford said:
I've been thinking about this and was wondering if anyone out there has anything to contribute...
I have a Morso 3610 I've been burning for a few years now (6" stove pipe). Before it I had an old Coalbrookdale Darby (8" stove pipe). Both have relatively large fire boxes to them, the Morso actually may be a bit larger than the Darby was. On a few occasions I've read that you shouldn't hook up an old smoke dragon with an 8" outlet to a 6" chimney, and I accept that it doesn't meet code, it's the back puffing situation that puzzles me. Why is it that my Morso with two doors and just as large a fire box doesn't need an 8" pipe? Is it the design of the stove or does it have to do with the velocity of the chimney dimensions? An 8" pipe, while offering more volume can't be exhausting smoke as fast as a 6" pipe. I would think a well placed, tall, 6" chimney would be more effective than a similarly placed 8" stack.
What do you think?

Your Grace:

Stop thinking. It is the stove design for a specific needed volume and pressure of draft. It can be measured with a device. A smaller flue may not handle the exhaust. A larger flue may not have enough air pressure to exhaust the smoke . Then you have height, chimney design --above roof or ridge, trees, flue material, wind direction and velocity. The stoves are engineered for a sized stack.

Now, how many here know who you were ?

In humbled,
DE

P.S. 44 20.84 N
68 45.57 W

Status
Not open for further replies.