Poor air quality from wood burners not just a western issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Probably of the more scenic spots in New England is the Franconia Parkway going through Franconia Notch (former home of New Hampshire's Old Man on the Mountain). The fed and the state spent a lot of money building the parkway through the Notch to connected up Interstate 93 on either side. There had to be congressional action to build it as its 2 lanes in spots. Almost in the middle of it is state campground. Frequently when I drive through in the summer there is distinct wood smell and haze as I round the corner past the campground.

Barbeque smokers are potentially major sources of low level smog. As mentioned in one my posts Polyaromatic Hydrocarbons (PAHs), are the major source of smoke flavor for the meat in a smoker yet also are a major form of air emissions from poor wood combustion. Effectively a good barbeque grill is a smoke dragon. I am surprised the EPA has not gone after commercial BBQ operations but expect they realize the potential PR hit they would take. Much as well done barbeque tastes great, its usually flagged by health authorities that its one of least heathy ways to cook meat.

They did go after large bakeries years ago as the fresh bread smell is sign of Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Emissions. Most large bakeries have to install catalytic oxidizers to "burn" the oven exhausts. To date I am not sure if the chocolate smell near chocolate factories has any health effects ;)
I have been very depressed ever since I learned about the ecological and human effects of smoked meat. Some of my favorite dishes are smoked meat which I haven't had for years.

I have been very depressed ever since I learned about the ecological and human effects of smoked meat. Some of my favorite dishes are smoked meat which I haven't had for years.
Ah. But how long does it take smoked meat to get you? You could treat yourself and set a goal by promising to take it up again on your 70th birthday or something.
Everyone benefits from having something to look forward to.

Ah. But how long does it take smoked meat to get you? You could treat yourself and set a goal by promising to take it up again on your 70th birthday or something.
Depressed is a strong word, but I take my food very seriously.

Reactions: Piney
much moreenjoyable to drive past the chocolate plant than the paint line at Briggs & Stratton back in the late 70's
I interviewed (and was hired) at a place in 95 that had an extensive paint line. After a 2hr interview - check in with the owner - spent another 1/2hr ranting about how the DNR was resticting and monitoring the line exhausts. He's retired in Florida and Hayward now - doesn't care.

Of course by then you won't be able to see it, smell it, chew it, or keep it down if you eat too late. ;)

Reactions: Piney
I interviewed (and was hired) at a place in 95 that had an extensive paint line. After a 2hr interview - check in with the owner - spent another 1/2hr ranting about how the DNR was resticting and monitoring the line exhausts. He's retired in Florida and Hayward now - doesn't care.
lot of things have changed since then- Powder coating for one instead of one type or another of paint. the huge briggs complex at 124th and Burleigh in Milwaukee is a shadow of it's former self. They were not particularly employee friendly back in the day either from comments made to me by former employees - there were some pretty nasty squables between Briggs and the various unions back then.

I also think that forest fires are a huge source of emissions as well, for the last 4 years we have had at least a couple days where the forest fire smoke was so bad we couldn't see to the end of our street. We had a summer day in June of 2018 that the smoke was so bad we thought the apocalypse was coming, the sky was black with a faint red glow where the sun should be and ash falling from the sky, this was from a fire 500km away in Prince George BC.

That being said I don't see the need to pollute for no reason, I'd be pretty mad if I constantly had smoke drifting into my yard from some neighbors poor burning habits.

I’m not talking about stank smolder fires. I’m talking about a good fires from older stoves they way they’ve been since mankind figured out how to make a stove.

Talk to centarians - a beer a day, smoked ribs, and a cigarette.
A few are lucky to say that. Not all have the same genetic makeup.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I’m not talking about stank smolder fires. I’m talking about a good fires from older stoves they way they’ve been since mankind figured out how to make a stove.

90% of the time when I go outside with my stove burning I can't smell it, I appreciate that, I'm sure my neighbors do as well. I rarely see smoke out of the cap, just steam. Now when I drive through an older neighborhood I can smell a house with an old wood stove long before I see it, and it isn't hard to spot with the trail of blue smoke from the chimney.

I like campfires and the smell of smoke, when I'm camping, but not in the middle of our small city. It's also hard on those with medical conditions, my fiances grandfather has COPD and it's brutal what a small amount of wood smoke does to him.

Reactions: SpaceBus