POP Quiz time this is a DOD POP Quiz

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Smokey

The control board or the vacuum line or vacuum switch will stop the auger from feeding pellets at startup. If the exhaust blower is not producing enough vacuum then the vacuum switch will not close. The cold start syndrone or CSS issue I had was that the control board did not set the exhaust blower to high during the start cycle, so if starting on low or medium heat settings the exhaust blower would not be running fast enough in very cold weather. An updated control board fixed that. But check the vacuum lines, vacuum switch and venting for plugging up first.

Smoke, old man this was a test question for you folks, I knew what was going on (the flame when it finally got lit was telling me that the air flow wasn't quite up to snuff).

Never assume an old one like me still remembers from one day to the next how to do anything, the wife maintains that the skillet isn't doing the job it used to ;).

What was surprising was normally I'd expect to see smoking take place in the firebox and an audible noise when it finally lit off, there was white smoke outside but I didn't see any inside the fire box. Maybe my eyes are going but as of a couple weeks ago they worked well enough to hit the target I was aiming at.

I've had the stove do a delayed ignition when some crud got trapped between the first igniter that was on it and the tube the igniter sits inside of. It smoked and lit off with a whoosh.

Don, this time of year I don't think I can get the stove room below 60::F in the middle of the winter I can get it in the upper 50's. Not quite cold enough to experience your CSS issue, this stove seems to pull a lot of air through it in startup mode.

BTW how is the insulation project going? I've got to snap some pictures and start a thread in DIY on interior storms. I haven't quite got one finished and want to show the various stages in the process. I had to open up my foam rolls and decompress them as they are shipped really compressed and if left in that state for more than 60 days may not be usable. It was fun unrolling and loose rolling it.

Smoke, old man this was a test question for you folks, I knew what was going on (the flame when it finally got lit was telling me that the air flow wasn't quite up to snuff).

Never assume an old one like me still remembers from one day to the next how to do anything, the wife maintains that the skillet isn't doing the job it used to ;).

What was surprising was normally I'd expect to see smoking take place in the firebox and an audible noise when it finally lit off, there was white smoke outside but I didn't see any inside the fire box. Maybe my eyes are going but as of a couple weeks ago they worked well enough to hit the target I was aiming at.

I've had the stove do a delayed ignition when some crud got trapped between the first igniter that was on it and the tube the igniter sits inside of. It smoked and lit off with a whoosh.

Don, this time of year I don't think I can get the stove room below 60::F in the middle of the winter I can get it in the upper 50's. Not quite cold enough to experience your CSS issue, this stove seems to pull a lot of air through it in startup mode.

BTW how is the insulation project going? I've got to snap some pictures and start a thread in DIY on interior storms. I haven't quite got one finished and want to show the various stages in the process. I had to open up my foam rolls and decompress them as they are shipped really compressed and if left in that state for more than 60 days may not be usable. It was fun unrolling and loose rolling it.

Glad you are all set now Smoke

When I said check the venting I meant intake as well as exhaust first. :)

The insulation is getting there 3 walls, the ceiling and floor is done, the old shack is finally starting to hold the heat a bit! Only went down to 44 deg F inside the other night when the outside went down to 30 Deg F ! ! Still have one wall and the 2 triangles on the inside of each end to do so the heat is still escaping!

Smokey, I think none of us pressed you, because of your knowledge and it didn't come off "Urgent". ;)

Honestly. I thought you were joking.

Glad it all worked out... Now keep that stove clean. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.