Popping a truck tire back on rim - fun with ether

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
This one could qualify for the "hey guys watch this" category. I acquired a Unimog last fall and it sat all winter and got two flat tires. After the snow receded I jacked it up and removed the tire and rim. Its has 20" rims with big knobby tires that end up about 40" outer diameter. The tire was on the rim but both beads were popped. There is no local dealer that deals with this type of tire so I figured what the heck. I got out my can of starting fluid, sprayed some inside the tire and had a long pole with a couple of kitchen matches taped to the end. I lit the matches brought them the rim and the tire beads popped right back in place. Really slick.

Unfortunately I also discovered that if you don't have an air line close by, the hot gases in the tire cools down and the bead pops back off the rim but at least I got the top bead in place. I moved the tire out in the sun and got ready to do it again after a sunny day but the tire had warmed up and bottom bead dropped down enough against the rim so I just hooked up my air line and inflated it. I am letting it sit for a few hours and hope its sealed, if is, it back on the mog if not I guess I get to get the soap out and see where the leak is and invest in a few cans of fix a flat.

I am not advocating this on full time basis but it worked slick this time for me. Do note I didn't spray much ether in the tire and a little goes a long way. I could envision someone really dosing it and blowing the tire up so caveat emptor.

Never tried on a tire this size, but I've used windex (sprayed on the bead and rim) and ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire to bead them before.

Reactions: fbelec
Done it a dozen or more times. Hate it. I ordered a cheap bead blaster off of Amazon last year.

Reactions: flyingcow
We've done this with trailer truck tires(which is about what you had). Use the good ether. A little goes along ways. But, it's not the best thing for the tire. Sometimes it'll ruin the bead, but you'll make it home. Just the next time tire gets broke down the bead is all 'rubbery'.

I've seen guys spend 15 mins max at changing a trailer truck tire roadside before. He kept a set of tire bars with him and a spare casing. The outside tire was blown. Drove the inside tire up on a block as to get the blown tire off the ground, grabbed the bars snapped the blown tire off. Put the slime on the bead of the "new" tire,flopped it on the rim. Then wiped it down, sprayed either in three spots about a foot long each. Sprayed a "wick" on the ground to the tire and threw the match. Had his air hose already to go. needed about 30 lbs of air and he was off to the races.

I did watch a guy do this to a car tire(from a distance). The tire came off the ground about two feet. It's a wonder it didn't ruin it.

Done it a dozen or more times. Hate it. I ordered a cheap bead blaster off of Amazon last year.

Thats the best way. Also, cheap($400) Chinese truck tires are the worst to set the bead. sidewalls are hard. Michelin's seem to be the easiest.

This my favorite method. It has saved my hiney out in the woods quite a few times. I always keep ether valve stems, plug kit, tire spud, and a chunk of 2x6 behind the seat. Don't forget a pig tank/compressor or it is pointless to have the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.