Pork Loin Ribs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsBrew

Minister of Fire
Apr 21, 2013
I need help. I am going to build a clay smoker this weekend. Why? I am obsessed with clay. Anyway, I don't smoke food so here is where I'm hoping you all will share your great advice. Can you use an oven rib recipe the same as you would for cooking in an outdoor smoker?

I've built and cooked in clay stoves when we were doing 15th century living history events (read goofy reenactors- War of The Roses, like that new series White Queen)

However, I take my BBQ super serious so when I smoke, it's either in my "El Cheapo Brinkman" water smoker as they are so known, or the charcoal smoker side of my grill.

But, cooking ribs in your oven is NOT the same method in a smoker. You need to make sure the meat is dry on the surface to attract smoke (pellicle), you need to create heat to make smoke but be able to maintain it, 200-225 for 6-8 hours at a time. You will want to get the smoker to temp, then keep adding wood chips to make smoke the first few hours, then keep just the heat to cook them through.

There are plenty of folks on other boards that discuss have their favorite methods, the whole time in the smoker, start in smoker finish in oven, even a "cooler" method where you wrap them in foil and put them in a cooler.

I know you said in a previous post you were not a patient person but you can't rush smoking meat....period.
I'm not trying to discourage you from experimenting but if you're gonna build a clay oven, you may want to start with pizza or bread to get used to this method of cooking.

Post Pictures! Good Luck!

You might want to check out one of the Big Green Egg forums. Years ago they were clay but now they are ceramic. Be warned, you will want to buy one or three or four eggs and spend tons of money on accessories. They can be just as addicting as chainsaws.

I'm not sure what your smoker will look like but I do ribs at about 250::F for five or more hours. Apple wood is my favorite with pork.

I should note that when I am cooking indirect I use oven temps as a guide unless I am doing a low and slow such as ribs or pulled pork.

I tell you what, taking a venison roast of some sort and marinating it in some apple cider vinegar and olive oil (maybe some garlic, salt, pepper, chili powder, whatever the heck you want in there) and then smoking it over apple wood, low and slow....
Insert picture of Homer Simpson drooling profusely...

I don't have anything to add but would like to see build pics. Using cob? Are you going to let the clay cure for a few days? Just curious to your design and method. I hope to see finished food pics too.

I'm not that elaborate. Ha! I am fascinated by the heat retention of clay brick and built a smoker box to see what would happen. I took everyone's advice from this thread and I also searched the internet. On the bottom are coals with soaked hickory chips and a aluminum foil made tin of water. About half way up is a cheap metal grill mat that I am using as a rack. The current temp inside is an even 200. I marinated the ribs in beer. Figured I couldn't go wrong with that. The ribs were taken out of the refrigerator, brought down to room temp, and coated with a creole rub. They have been cooking for a little over an hour.

Here's a picture. You can sort of see the smoke coming out of the top. Pretty basic stuff.

124464c7-2a37-4477-adad-9024f3cf3561_zps3c8af3f9.jpg

Reactions: JoeyD
I'm curious to see the end product. We just got done polishing off a rack of baby backs I cooked for five hours today. I rub with some Dizzy Pig and finish the last hour with Blues Hog bbq sauce. They were delicious.

I just ate pork ribs that I cooked for the first time. I applied a dry rub last night, put in the oven for 2 hours at 250 then about 3 hours in a converted grill with cherry and apple wood. Labor intensive keeping the heat and smoke up, although a very calming experience. I've never had to cook something so low and slow. Ribs were great. I'll definetely do that again.

The internal temp is 185 which is bad since I read it should be 175. There is a brown coating and pink edge. They are also falling apart. I think they are done. This picture is horrible but here it is:

a3e3a47e-b60d-4a81-b5bf-6b84f429a56b_zpsa16b7358.jpg

That pink is your "smoke ring" and good BBQ has it. Depending on the ribs, 175-185 is fine, I use a thermometer but if they are falling apart or off the bone, that's a good sign. You didn't say if you liked them though.

When you said you were building a clay oven, that isn't what I thought you meant, using bricks, I thought you meant clay like this but smoke on sister ;)

image.jpg

The ribs were really good. In fact, I didn't even use bbq sauce. They were a tad over done and a little heavy on the cayenne but overall, I am very pleased with the results.

I know I disappointed by not building a cob/clay oven. This brick version of a tandoor worked so well that I am not even considering working with cob. I do have to read the Hearth.com member suggestions on kilns. I want to incorporate aspects of the design in the future.

Thank you again for all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.