Possible to use EPA (non-cat) insert as regular fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terpsucka

Dec 4, 2010
Potomac, Maryland
I just want to start this off with the disclaimer that I'm not saying I would EVER try this, just curious if it would work.

When I pop out the burn tubes and baffle to clean my chimney, my firebox is a straight shot up the chimney. It occurs to me that when it's in this condition, it looks a lot like a regular old fireplace. Would it be possible to use it like a fireplace when it's like this? Prop the door open, plop a screen down in front of it, and let-er go. Obviously all the efficiency and heating would go up the chimney, but you have that with a regular fireplace anyway.

you could but why would you ever want to?

you could but why would you ever want to?

The only time I could ever see doing it would be during shoulder season, when I'd like a fire, but don't want my house 80 degrees. I have natural gas heat, so (for now) when it's in the 50s outside, it's more cost effective to run the furnace. Completely off topic, but I expect that once they get those LNG export facilities up and running, the cost of NG will soar, making wood burning much more popular.

Not sure if you even need to remove the baffle. Many insert manufacturers sell an optional screen for people who want to burn with the door open which essentially makes the insert a fireplace.

Not sure if you even need to remove the baffle. Many insert manufacturers sell an optional screen for people who want to burn with the door open which essentially makes the insert a fireplace.

My reason for thinking removal of the baffle is needed is because I sometimes get smoke come out of the firebox when I first light it (with the door open, never with the door closed), but that might be because of a cold chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.