Possible to vent a Grandpa Bear to a 5.5" insulated liner 21 feet...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddi

Jan 26, 2013
Northeast PA
Hello,

I had a masonry chimney installed on the exterior of my home in July, 2013 and have burned for the past 3 seasons and I am burning now. The chimney is square block with the 8" clay flue tiles inside. I've noticed since the beginning that when the chimney gets a lot of heat in it, some of the blocks separate at the mortar joints and actually lift very slightly due to the flue tile expansion. This didn't cause me too much concern at first, since when the chimney cooled, the blocks came down and the cracks between the mortar joints were very small.

Just recently I have noticed that 3 of the concrete blocks, which were painted with dry lok extreme, have developed hairline vertical cracks. In order to save this chimney, which appears to be getting damaged by thermal expansion, I want to put an insulated liner in it.

I have a Fisher Grandpa Bear that I put a heavy steel plate baffle in (2 silhouette plate targets welded at the bottoms and tac welded on the shelf just below the outlet pipe). The stove is in the basement surrounded by concrete, clay thimble through the 8" poured foundation wall is about 6 feet up the wall. The top of the chimney is approximately 21 feet from the clay thimble.

My understanding is that in order to get an insulated liner to fit in the clay tiles, I would have to use a 5.5" inside diameter liner. I realize that one is not supposed to go this small on a stove like the GB, but I can't change the chimney, so I hope I can continue to use this stove. If not, I may have to buy a newer tech, more efficient stove.

Has anyone used a 5.5" liner for one of the big Fishers or you guys think a different stove would be better for this application? Thanks for any advice and experience!

I think people have used it and have been successful but it still may not work based on your local factors. But, it seems you have no choice. If it doesn't work you need to get a new stove or don't use it any longer. I would be more concerned with a chimney and moving cracks. It would have the chimney inspected for integrity before I got to deep into the expense of a new liner.

no it wont work. even a 6" is very questionable. You will need to get those old clay liners out of there. And depending upon how bad the vertical cracks are that may not be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.