Posting on CraigsList

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
So I posted on CraigsList last night the following:
'Looking for firewood. Willing to take uncut 'rounds' (un-split wood) of any size. Willing to take pine.'

Just seeing who will respond, what's out there, and to see if I can come across a few deals for next years wood pile. I have gotten three emails in 24 hours warning me of the dangers of burning pine...

In fact, from what I can tell, just bringing pine into the house will cause a chimney fire.

On a positive note I have gotten two decent responses. One guy has a bunch of hardwood rounds but he hasn't mentioned price yet. The other guy is selling split wood that is supposedly split & seasoned for a year (we'll see) for $130 a cord. Which is nearly $100 per cord cheaper than the going price around here ($195-$230). So I ordered two cords to see what he delivers.

I hope the split & seasoned for a year stuff pans out for you. Just say "No" to Pine.

Pine will even make your floors rot and your feet will swell. Nasty stuff. You can drop off any unused pine here.

Not to mention impotence! Watch out for pine! :p

For $130 he will likely only give you 1/2 cord. Make sure it measures out before paying them. Too many people getting shorted.

I heard that pine will cause hair to grow on your palms. Oops, wrong forum, never mind.

Hurricane said:
For $130 he will likely only give you 1/2 cord. Make sure it measures out before paying them. Too many people getting shorted.

I am very aware of that. That is why I am ordering a small amount to give him a try. I know what a two cord pile should look like so if it looks like a one cord pile, I will be all over him. This will be for next years wood so I have the luxury of giving it a try.

I appreciate the warning, though!

That's hillarious that you were "warned" about pine. When I scrounge pine, I just tell people I burn it in a fire pit. I'm not going to spend time lecturing someone who's giving me free firewood.

I heard if bring pine in the house its like inviting evil spirits in your home 10yrs of bad luck . The apocalypse..............

Evil spirits, like a fifth of Jack?

wood=btu... good...

TB

TomB said:
wood=btu... good...

TB

I agree. Pine is kinda like getting $5 in quarters. In the end, you still get the same benefit as a $5 bill..it'll just take a little more effort paying at the counter. :wow:

I just ordered a cord for 200 in dutchess county delivered and stacked. There seems to be an ample abumdance of wood around these parts. Over the past few years i am seeing signs posted on the side of the road for firewood. i guess thats a good thing provided that it is reputable wood and seasoned right. Happy Burning

I have a crapload of trees on our land and every last one is pine. I use it for campwood, but I am tempted to throw it in the stove someday. For now Ill just burn the hardwood I've accumulated. It is supposed to be irritating to the eyes and throat if burned indoors.. never tried it although I know many Pineys that only burn it.

A buddy of mine ordered 5 cords(half for him and half for his son) from his regular guy for a hundred a piece, so I go over and check it out, says its been cut for over a year (split last week)so's I split a few pieces and stick em with the meter and all were over 35%, then we put half the pile in my trailer to take back to his sons place and it stacked out to a whoppin cord and a 1/2
I promptly canceled my two cord order. I'll turn the heat on before I feed one of these pirates.
Guy even said he stacked it out before loadin it.
If it sounds too good to be true prolly is.

As far as pine I have no idea what I'm gunna do with the cord+ I have split and stacked?
Heck even the mpg on my truck dropped just haulin the devil wood home ;-)

Birdman1 said:
A buddy of mine ordered 5 cords(half for him and half for his son) from his regular guy for a hundred a piece, so I go over and check it out, says its been cut for over a year (split last week)so's I split a few pieces and stick em with the meter and all were over 35%, then we put half the pile in my trailer to take back to his sons place and it stacked out to a whoppin cord and a 1/2
I promptly canceled my two cord order. I'll turn the heat on before I feed one of these pirates.

As far as pine I have no idea what I'm gunna do with the cord+ I have split and stacked?

Even if the wood is sopping wet, I'm not concerned. If it is two full cords for $130 a cord, that is good enough for me. This wood is for next year and I am trying to get 2-3 years ahead with my wood stack.

BrowningBAR said:
Birdman1 said:

Even if the wood is sopping wet, I'm not concerned. If it is two full cords for $130 a cord, that is good enough for me. This wood is for next year and I am trying to get 2-3 years ahead with my wood stack.

No doubt very good price, I had kinda the same plan if I could not use it now, but not when I saw the size of this guys "prestacked 4x4x8 cords" (his words).
Some how in his magical little world 5=3 LOL

Ya should come up with some good hits though once ya weed through the nuts prolly get a few decent piles

Status
Not open for further replies.