Potential new house has wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tereyin

Feb 18, 2014
Indiana
Hi there! New to forums and the only thing I really know about wood stoves is that when I was around 5, my grandparents had one and I'd be sweating during the cold winter. Now to the good part...

A house that I looked at buying currently has a wood stove. Not knowing much I'm turning to you for opinions. One the hearth is ugly. Two.. They put the stove in the worse possible place right in the middle of the living room. Three... Instead of the piping going straight up, it bends and turns. I forgot to take pictures so I stole the few off the real estate website. Guess I'm just wondering if it looks properly set up and how hard it'd be to redo the ugly hearth and possibly move it. It'd be in the same room, just in the corner instead. Can I use the existing chimney and just angle the pipe in the attic to the new spot and down? And if you guys know what kind of stove or have an idea of what it might be so I can research the specs on them that'd be fantastic. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 258
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 252
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 247
Looks like they wanted to place it between the windows, but there was a joist directly above and had to offset the pipe. Doesn't look like bad placement to me. The end wall where the desk is might be better though. I don't think the brick looks all that bad, not great, but not horrible either. You could cover it with something else.

That's exactly where I'd want to move it is by the desk. Plenty of room for a nice slate hearth and room to add a cubby to put some wood in. Question is, would I have to put a new chimney in.. Which means another hole in the roof... Or can I run the pipe straight up into the attic, and in the attic run the pipe over to the existing chimney?

would I have to put a new chimney in

Yep

Before making any decisions look long and hard at stoves you like and their clearance requirements to figure out what would have to be done in that corner. Different stoves have different requirements.

Also, it's always a good idea when purchasing to have an actual inspection by someone specializing in wood stove / chimney inspections (a person with CSIA credentials)

Additionally, if there is any thought to using the current setup, ditch the magic heat reclaimer.

Just by the fact that it's on there, I wouldn't run that stove without sweeping the chimney.

They are bad news.

pen

If you have any doubts about the setup I would ask a home inspector, or chimney professional, to check it out. For me it would be a condition of buying the home.

I've been thinking the encore flex burn or the new englander. I have time until next winter and the profit of selling my current house for the expenses. I just really don't like the thought of another hole in the roof, but if it is the way, then that's the way it goes! Thanks everyone

Yeah - you will want to punch a new hole in the roof. That much of an angle for that long of a run will probably be a draft killer.

Would I just be able to somehow leave the existing one? Disconnect it, patch the ceiling with some dry wall and then just let it be from the attic up through the roof and cap off the top of the chimney?

You could. If it is above the ceiling I would be aware of potential venting or leak issues. If it did start to leak, it will wreak havoc on your ceiling. Maybe pull the pipe completely and install a proper attic vent??

That's exactly where I'd want to move it is by the desk. Plenty of room for a nice slate hearth and room to add a cubby to put some wood in. Question is, would I have to put a new chimney in.. Which means another hole in the roof... Or can I run the pipe straight up into the attic, and in the attic run the pipe over to the existing chimney?
That offset doesn't look possible. Once the pipe passes through the ceiling it must switch from connector pipe to class A high-temp in the attic. Class A pipe can have no larger than a 30 deg. elbow in it. That and the height of the attic will determine the amount of offset. For sure completely remove the old chimney and have the roof professionally patched. Done right it will be as good as new.

Last edited:
Removing the existing hearth could be fun...but you'd certainly gain usable floor space.

If you made use of the existing chimney I'd ditch the two 90s and put a 45 where the magic heat was.
Two.. They put the stove in the worse possible place right in the middle of the living room.
Depending on how you look at it, it's a space heater. So the placement, while inconvenient, isn't the worst possible place. Plus a window right there incase you need to crack it for more air. Unless you get a stove with an OAK.

Have you thought about the cost involved with just tiling or refacing the brickwork? Probably a lot cheaper.

But on a really cold day, the current placement will probably be appreciated. House is drafty, can pull cold air from right next to the stove instead of from the farthest corner of the house.

Get it inspected before buying or purchase contingent on passing certified inspection...Otherwise that could essentially add $1,000 or more to the purchase price.
Not many people fix things like that when it's time to sell.
...Pumping the septic.
...Asbestos products (do some remodeling, and all a sudden $1,000 goes to the ab cleanup crew)
...But that chimney probably hasn't been looked at (where it penetrates the ceiling) since it was installed. No matter what the seller says...Kinda like used cars, they all 'run like a dream'. Then 500 miles later the clutch goes out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.