Poulan 3416

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pistonslap

Burning Hunk
Oct 7, 2006
southwestern Pa.
After finally getting my carb adjusted and the saw working decently again. I think I may have found my original cause of stalling and plug fouling. When I started cutting again, after the saw got good and warmed up it started to bog down. I pulled it out of the piece to rev it, but it seemed like the chain brake was engaged. The lever was in the disengaged position but the chain wouldn't turn. After the saw stalled out, the chain was free again. Is anybody familiar with how the chainbrake works? Is it a job that can be repaired by someone who is reasonably mechanically inclined? There was a link in one of the threads to a web page that showed parts lists and blow-up diagrams for poulan saws but I can't find it. If anyone has this link, could you post it again? I know it's not a top of the line saw, but it has performed pretty much flawlessly up until now. I'd like to take one more stab at fixing it.

I decided to do surgery anyway. The chainbrake operates on the same principal as an oil filter wrench. A steel band goes around the clutch cover. when you push the lever forward it tightens the band and stops the chain. It was really gunked up with oily sawdust. I won't know if that was the problem until I get a chance to cut. One thing for sure, cleaning the chain brake will become a part of my routine maintenance.

Thanks. that's the one I was looking for. I got it to start and run and cut well, but trying to get it to restart it after you shut it off while it is still warm is almost impossible. There may be a Husky in my future.

I bought a Husky 142 today. It was $200 at sears. I bought the 16". It was $30 more for the 18", but it had the same size motor as the 16" That's $200 for the saw and $300 for the splitter. The gas company was granted an 11% rate hike this week which is supposed to cost the average homeowner about $35 more a month. So that means I will make that money back that much faster. I think the poulan will work fine as a back up saw to give the Husky a break so that I don't overheat it.

My Poulan Wildthing does the same thing, the oily sawdust builds up around the chain brake. Had to clean it out, then ran fine.
Does tend to run like crap when its warm out and have been cutting for a bit. Won't hold an idle.

My poulan 3145 does the same thing when it gets warm and my buddy that has the same saw has the same issue ... seems to be an issue with these saws, I am considering a husky. BTW the thing always dies when I set it down to move cutting a large tree and throwing it does not seem to help at all !

Since we are bashing Poulan's a little bit, my buddy at work has a Poulan 4620 avhd and has trouble getting oil to the chain. I have watched him cut a number of times and the usual oil to gas ratio usage on a normal saw is one tank of gas for almost a tank of bar oil, but his is almost nil. When it was new it used a tank for tank but that was only for the first few times he used it. Have any of you guys out there experienced this? On the Internet I have read some reviews that said the same thing, but on various models of Poulan's. It would seem that even a little bit of saw dust can clog the oiler up. And if you have had that problem and fixed it, can you explain how? He has been bothered with this for some time now and doesn't really want to spend $100.00 of a $200.00 saw to get it repaired. Thanks for any advice or tips.

Now that you mention it my Poolan also uses less oil than when it was new so it may have the same problem. I am going to take it apart and get it all cleaned up to use as a backup and for small jobs because I broke down and got a Stihl MS250 18" for primary use. The guy I got the saw from owns a tool rental place and suggested to remove the bar and blow it out after each use (any brand) and it will help keep it running longer.

I just got the POOOOlan 4620 yesterday and ran great for about 20 - 15" rounds today. Now no oil to the bar. Took it all apart and cleaned everything, still no oil.
Called Poulan and was told to take it back. Not a very happy camper at this point with less than a tank of gas !!!!!

Tony H said:
BTW the thing always dies when I set it down to move cutting a large tree and throwing it does not seem to help at all !

I am glad I was not drinking anything when I read that. That was funny :lol:

As I have said before, I got really good results for a hundred dollar saw. But mine stalled a lot too and being a poulan the pullrope would stop retracting after about 4-5 pulls. My buddy used to call it the flying Poulan.

Took the POOOlan back and talked myself into a HUSKY 350 instead of trying another Poulan.

Status
Not open for further replies.