poulan pro 4218a 42cc chainsaw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BRK4444

Dec 28, 2015
My poulan pro locked up on me the other day. I took it apart and found my ground strap to the IM had been mangled by the flywheel. The screw which retains it was stuck to the underside of the flywheel magnet. I'm assuming it got loose somehow. I need my saw running today and tomorrow. The ground strap is $1 part, I just can't wait for the delivery. Is there any way to rig a ground up for the IM another way? For some reason it fired up yesterday 1 time, I ran it, stopped it, and then couldn't get it to go again. Where the strap exits the IM it meets another ground strap with said screw which continues to the underside of the engine, (I think is what I'm looking at) I'm guessing the straps connect to the plastic frame with the screw. The one strap from the IM is completely mangled and the other one has been broke off, I'm thinking where the two would meet, so I need to find another way to ground this. I'm not sure what will work and I've spent too much time on it not knowing what I'm doing already. Thanks for any help

Never having worked on one of that model, I'd need photographs to facilitate tossing ideas around.

A ground is just a wire. Just crimp in a jumper wire that is pretty thick.

Can you remove the strap completely and just do something like this?

IMG_4238b.jpg

I had a similar situation with my 1994 Craftsman (Poulan). Your results were better, tho. My coil screw started bouncing around and busted flywheel fins. Like sbr said, any medium gauge wire (16-14-12 ga) will work. I'd put 1 or 2 pieces of 3/4" of small trimmer line (like .065") in the coil screw hole to make it tighter. Or wrap screw with teflon tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.