Poultry predator protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeathens

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2007
Athens, Ohio
I have a general idea what I want to do, but wanted to see if there were any veteran chicken keepers around that might have some ideas...

I generally try to free-range my birds, but lately have had some pretty significant losses to raccoons, roaming dogs, and most recently a fox (in the middle of the day!).

I am thinking of electric fence, either strands 5" and 10" off the ground, or premiere fencing (the woven fiberglass). The premiere fence is pretty expensive, and I'd like to avoid it if possible. I'm looking at protecting an area about 100' X 50', or close to it. premiere fencing will be in the range of $300 for that much, wire will be much cheaper. But, I have heard that the wire isn't all that effective.

Any thoughts? I'd like to maintain something semi-portable, so I can shift things around when the grass starts getting skimpy...

Could you build a chicken tractor and just fence enough for a day's grazing. Would be the cheapest way to go. I'm looking at the woven electric with a charger, it's not cheap but it does work for the critters that you have. Unlike a tractor with a top fence you could still lose them to hawks, owls etc. Once you bite the bullet the fence should last a good while. Best eggs in the world an no antibiotics.http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/redir?...dItemPage=1&clickedItemDescription=WebResults
Ed

Ed,

I was told that premier fencing ( www.premier1supplies.com ) is the best. Do you know of any less expensive that are as good, or should I just bite the bullet? I probably wouldn't buy one of their chargers, though. Haven't lost any to hawks yet, but if I did, I don't think it would piss me off as much as dogs, raccoons, or fox. I have this bizarre respect for hawks.

Mike

Ya Mike that's the best one I've been told. Nice book they put out. I figured $500 or so so. I'm also thinking Chicken tractor in season, a small coup with a fenced run for the winter. Depends how many chickens I end up with. You can only eat so many eggs. They are easy to give away but feed is not cheap and if you charge you could incur a liability. Not like the old days.
Ed

Mike if your free-rangeing there's no defense against fox's, sorry. Every year they'd slowly get all our goselings...right out from under our noses, the second you turn your back.

Status
Not open for further replies.