Just starting to seriously look for a pickup

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ilikewood said:
Bigg_Redd said:
ilikewood said:
Bigg_Redd said:
No offense to all you short-bed lovers/owners, but the only excuse for a short bed firewood truck is that it was free or you already own it.

A standard bed with 1' side racks easily hauls a cord. Leave the trailer at home.

A standard 8 foot bed is fine if you only need to carry 2-3 folks in the cab....seems like most folks need the crew cab with shorter bed as they have family members to include on the equation.

I see long bed crew cabs every day.

Understood, just try to get my wife to drive it with the kids.....ain't happening :)

Why would you send your wife and kids to get firewood?

Bigg_Redd said:
ilikewood said:
Bigg_Redd said:
ilikewood said:
Bigg_Redd said:
No offense to all you short-bed lovers/owners, but the only excuse for a short bed firewood truck is that it was free or you already own it.

A standard bed with 1' side racks easily hauls a cord. Leave the trailer at home.

A standard 8 foot bed is fine if you only need to carry 2-3 folks in the cab....seems like most folks need the crew cab with shorter bed as they have family members to include on the equation.

I see long bed crew cabs every day.

Understood, just try to get my wife to drive it with the kids.....ain't happening :)

Just sayin that some families need to have a vehicle that everyone that can drive can use. Not sending my wife and kids to get firewood....but we interchange vehicles regularly with the car seat shuttle, and I was just stating that my wife would not be too pleased to try to park a truck at school/preschool/groceries with a crew cab and an 8 foot bed.
Sorry to the OP for bringing this up...I'm done on this thread.

Bigg_Redd said:
ilikewood said:

Why WOULDN'T you? lol.

Nothin', YET. Still looking.

I'm hoping to stumble across a newer diesel, crew-cab, long-bed, 4x4, fully loaded with leather for around 10,000 dollars and fewer than 100,000 miles . LOL.

Chances are that i won't act (unless I find a real steal that I don't want to miss out on) until I buy the CRV from my parents (after harvest) At that point I need to figure out how soon I'm going to be able to get the truck that I want. If I think I can get it soon then I'll work hard to sell both of my current vehicles outright. If I think it'll need to be a while longer then I'll sell the Aerio first and hold onto the jeep (at least it can tow).

Like i said before. Best case scenario is the one where I end up with the CRV and a truck that can be a good daily driver and family hauler as well as meet my work-truck needs. If I can make all of that happen and have small monthly payments, then I'll be a happy guy.

I've been thinking hard about what I want and need in a truck for a long time, but am just starting to actually look at specific trucks that I see on lots and in the paper.

Danno77 said:
Nothin', YET. Still looking.

I'm hoping to stumble across a newer diesel, crew-cab, long-bed, 4x4, fully loaded with leather for around 10,000 dollars and fewer than 100,000 miles . LOL.

Chances are that i won't act (unless I find a real steal that I don't want to miss out on) until I buy the CRV from my parents (after harvest) At that point I need to figure out how soon I'm going to be able to get the truck that I want. If I think I can get it soon then I'll work hard to sell both of my current vehicles outright. If I think it'll need to be a while longer then I'll sell the Aerio first and hold onto the jeep (at least it can tow).

Like i said before. Best case scenario is the one where I end up with the CRV and a truck that can be a good daily driver and family hauler as well as meet my work-truck needs. If I can make all of that happen and have small monthly payments, then I'll be a happy guy.

I've been thinking hard about what I want and need in a truck for a long time, but am just starting to actually look at specific trucks that I see on lots and in the paper.

I was hoping for the same thing 2 years ago when I was shopping. I ended up buy a 1999 -Dodge-diesel-3500-4x4-ext cab-long bed-dually. It was loaded and it had 105,000 miles on it and I paid $15,000. The 3/4 ton SRW version of the same truck were going for $2000-$4000 more than the dually.

If you don't have to have the diesel, you can do it easily; our last truck was an 02 Silverado 2500 with 8.1L gas motor, leather, loaded, 4WD extended cab long bed and 72K miles. Traded it in but could have sold for $8-9K just last fall. Keep checking CL and the local traders paper, they're out there.

you may save on MPG with the diesel but don't forget the 75-100 dollar oil changes and plugging it in during sub zero weather. You really have to put some miles on to make that engine pay for its self.

deck2 said:
you may save on MPG with the diesel but don't forget the 75-100 dollar oil changes and plugging it in during sub zero weather. You really have to put some miles on to make that engine pay for its self.

This used to be a lot truer. Newish gas engines often require expensive synthetic oils which drives up the cost of oil changes.

And the power used on the block heater is negligible.

deck2 said:

Good point. I do mine myself for about $60 on the 7.3L powerstroke and the issues with depleting the anti-foam additives and the effect that has on the high pressure oil driven fuel pump are keeping me from attempting any kind of extended drain interval.

If you haven't already found it, http://www.truckpaper.com is a good resource for shopping around on the heavier light duty trucks.

I would find the "ugly best friend" and buy that one. Cheaper, already dented up, maybe not the best looking and only used 1-2 times a month. Why spent a fortune on a truck to try and save you money on burning wood (if that is your motivation)? You will never get an ROI on a 15k truck. Especially when it is sitting in the driveway 95% of the time.

Just my 2.

I bought my 01 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.0 gas three years ago when gas was under $2/gal and diesel was pushing 3. I thought it was silly to pay the $5-6K premium for the diesel in a 5 year old truck. In retrospect, the 6.0 gets 12-13 mpg and the diesel would have already paid for itself especially with gas and diesel prices tracking so closely today.

SolarAndWood said:
I bought my 01 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.0 gas three years ago when gas was under $2/gal and diesel was pushing 3. I thought it was silly to pay the $5-6K premium for the diesel in a 5 year old truck. In retrospect, the 6.0 gets 12-13 mpg and the diesel would have already paid for itself especially with gas and diesel prices tracking so closely today.

The price of diesel always fluctuates in relation to gasoline, but, on average diesel powered vehicles get 30%-50% better MPGs and the bigger/heavier the vehicle is, the bigger the diesel advantage becomes. For example, I get just over 20 MPG in my Dodge 3500. The same truck with a gas engine might get 12 MPG so diesel would have to cost nearly double what gas costs before the dollars per mile (DPM) are equal between the two. So even when I'm paying $.30=$.40 more per gallon for diesel I'm still getting better mileage per dollar.

I know that this is an eternal debate - as long as men are men and we have some slight reason to have to haul/tow/plow something; but the diesel vs gas arguement really boils down to personal preference and use. As mentioned, our last truck was a big block chevy with a huge gas motor. Was great for 10K miles per year, but moving to WY where it's more like 25K per year, the diesel makes more sense. Based on the OP's situation, I doubt he would ever recoup the extra cost of the diesel; they hold that $3-5K additional cost through the life of the truck, even 10 year old diesels sell for $3-5K more than the equivalent gas model. For the difference in price, you can buy a LOT of gas for $3-5K, plus usually find a lower mileage truck in better shape. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing quite like the feeling and sound of that turbo singing and the black smoke blowing as you haul 26K lbs up a mountain pass... But as the OP mentioned, only a few miles a year and a couple trips here and there? Not worth the extra cost. And that extra comes at the expense of weight - the diesel will weigh a LOT more which eats in to cargo weight capacity (GVWR minus weight of truck and equipment and passengers). Based on the desire to be able to load a lot in the bed, and haul it around easilt, the 3/4 ton makes sense; as does the gas engine. MPG vs MPG the diesel wins, but it's only worth it for those that A) need the extra pulling capacity or B) drive enough miles to make the difference worth it. More info is available at rv.net - check out the forums for some great info.

I have looked at the same idea and decided 3/4 ton and 4wd are a must crew cab would be nice but xtra cab with the 8' bed would be easier for handling . its way too easy to overload a 1/2 ton.
I have a van 1/2 ton and trailer right now and since we use the van for trips I might end up with a 3/4 ton van instead .

The V10 is Ford's best kept secret. Over 300 hp and 400 ft/lb torque is pretty impressive. My '00 V10 4x4 F250 longbed supercab has room for the family and or dog, rides nice (for a 3/4 ton truck) and has more than enough power. I gets about 11 MPG whether its empty or loaded, highway or local. Almost as much power as the diesel and a super cheap 6 qt + filter oil change. Another plus is that it nice and quiet.

FWIW I don't care about how big the thing is. the bigger the better. I live in a pretty rural area, so parking is never tight around here, not even at the local wal-mart.

I want a deisel, but not for any reason that is logical. I just do, but I won't let that cloud my judgment if I find a good gas engined truck.

I don't I don't look it, and many people I work with are surprised, but I am a farmboy. I have a deskjob and spent 7 years in college taking almost 70 hours of graduate coursework to do what I do. For some reason people always act surprised to find out that I own a tractor (Just a little JD Model B), am restoring a classic car, Renovating a 150 year old house, chop firewood and know a thing or two about chainsaws; like being smart and damned good looking means you can't be handy or have other manual labor type hobbies and interests (ok, so maybe I am exaggerating a little, but hey, this is the internet, if we can't be smart and good looking here, then what's the point of Gore's invention?).

I'm not trying to sound braggadocio, my point is just that I'm not afraid to have something that needs some love and care, although I'd prefer to not have to tinker too much, and also my point is that I've been around both engine types enough to know the pros and cons of each.

That doesn't mean anybody just wasted their time responding, I appreciate the comments so far, if nothing else a few of them didn't teach me something new, but made me feel better about what I thought I already knew.

As a side note, my parents-in-law have a 5th wheel camper that could be borrowed if I had the right truck. Dad has a 5th wheel trailer for the farm too, so I might invest in a hitch, that definitely would rule out the 1/2 ton if I want to haul the camper. It's quite ridiculous. wonder if I have a link to the model online.....

If the 5th wheel is an interest, that's a whole other thing to think about... Then you might need to look at 3/4 ton vs 1-ton depending on the model. Guess that would rule out the van? 1-ton single rear wheel would be great for anything you need, good luck with the search-

here's a link to their crazy rolling luxury suite:
http://keystone-montana.com/
it's got three slides, beautiful woodwork inside, one of those tvs that lifts out of a cabinet, and the TV in their bedroom actually goes down into the basement and then you can sit outside in a lawnchair and watch the TV by the fire. Certainly not roughing it in this badboy.

With a 5th wheel, does placement of that hitch move closer to the cab if you have a shorter bed? I really want a long bed, but since I'm buying used I may have to compromise some things.

Looked at your link; that's going to be at least 14K loaded, shipping weight on the lightest model is over 10K with capacity for almost 4K in "stuff". That puts about 2800#+ on the hitch. To safely tow that, you need a 1-ton not a t3/4 ton. Not trying to start a huge debate about "well I've towed ___ with my ___ and never had a problem. You should ask them what it weights with water in the tanks, loaded and ready to roll. They should know the weights pretty well- I bet it's pushing 15K. You will exceed the rear axle weight rating for a lot of 3/4 ton trucks with that camper. Also, you really want a longbed for any kind of 5th wheel; you can live without it but there's a risk of hitting the cab of the truck with the trailer unless you have a sliding hitch ($$$). Finally, you are more likely to find a used truck with a goosneck than a 5th wheel (at least in most places), there is an adapter that you can purchase to go from the GN to a 5th wheel so don't let that stop you. I have the reverse setup, 5th wheel rails in the bed with an adapter to go to gooseneck.

I agree with the above. The longer bed is going to be an assett for hauling a gooseneck/5th wheel. My neighbor went with the short bed in his Dodge (nice truck other wise), and has crunched his truck & shattered his window with his RV.

My '05 F250 has the 8 foot bed, and with the goose neck set up hauls quite nicely. Not one complaint from the Dix :). Cab has suicide doors, but it's just usually me in the truck, so no biggie. Quite comfy. 4 on the fly is lovely, too.

One feature that I really like is the extending, heated mirrors. Makes towing a pleasure, just to remember to fold them in when at a toll booth !!!

Not much new to add other than I have a '02 F150, 2wd, v-6. The cheapest f150 I could get my hands on - cost me $12k brand new when I bought it. Paid cash, don't like debt which is why I setled for the el cheapo truck. Gets good mileage for a truck (I can routinely squeeze 20 mpg out of it back and forth to work except in winter) and I routinely abuse the load limits - there is a complex function in my mind between what the cargo is, how far I am from home, how lucky I'm feeling, and how low the bumper gets to the ground - I cannot express it mathematically, I just know when I've reached the load limit for whatever task is at hand. I've had about 3500lbs in it before and I think the official capacity is about 1300lbs. All that said, my next truck will be 3/4 ton, 4wd, and automatic. You just cannot have enough capacity, especially if you don't drive far and can absorb high gas costs (which will come again). One other factor you might consider is the cost of consumable items for the truck. How much are rotors/drums? Bearings? U-joints? I was surprised at the difference in cost between the same item for an F150 vs a Tundra - I expect that you might find the same cost differential for different brands in the 3/4 ton and 1 ton categories. Yes, I know there is no 1 ton Tundra - was just using this as an example.

The only other piece of information I'll throw out there is that I've heard and read that the 12 valve diesel engines made by Cummins in older Dodge trucks are exceptional in terms of gas mileage and reliability. Of course, the rest of the truck is still a Dodge the reliability of which can be debated (although I did have a 2007 Dodge 1500 4x4 crew cab for a rental once, it only had the 4.7l, but I was very impressed with the ride quality - it got 17mpg highway with the cruise set at 5mph over the posted speed limit).

PS - my truck is a short bed. It must be nice to be able to get a stack of drywall and actually close the tailgate ....

Status
Not open for further replies.