Power generation from within the firebox?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
A new material made by a collaboration at Seoul is showing great promise as a thermoelectric generator. Because it is carbon-based it works well at high temperatures ( ~1440ºF) that would cause current TEGs to fail. If this could power stove systems it might usher in some interesting new clean-burning tech without concern of power outages.

This could usher in a new era of efficiency for cars as well. There is tons of energy wasted to heat in an internal combustion engine. Coupled with bio fuels this tech could keep combustion engines alive for quite some time.

It would get rid of batteries I think but if I am on the right path here with thinking for me it would be a 10 minute posting...clancey

I think it has uses far outside that of just powering the systems on a stove. A 1-3kw TEG on a wood stove could make a lot of homes net zero in winter when solar production falls off, making offgrid life easier or provide additional cost savings incentives for wood heat in a grid-tied scenario.

I think it has uses far outside that of just powering the systems on a stove. A 1-3kw TEG on a wood stove could make a lot of homes net zero in winter when solar production falls off, making offgrid life easier or provide additional cost savings incentives for wood heat in a grid-tied scenario.
Indeed, but this is a hearth forum, thus the thought. It could be a real boon for pellet stoves.