Power?? outage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

msjks

Jan 5, 2016
Massachusetts
What do you all do when the power goes out and your pellet stove is rendered down for the count?

Can you plug into a generator w/ a power surge strip. or anyone recommend the battery backup?

I have a UPS. If the outage goes more than an hour I shutdown the stove.

Reactions: vinny11950
Ginny cuts in automatically and runs as long as power is out
whole house unit 25KW Generator - Diesel Powered and
because some one will ask it is a 2013 Magnum MMG35,
25KW 208/480V, 3 Phase, John Deere Diesel Powered,
Used for my shop ,barn and house

I use the Onan generator in my motorhome, wired through a transfer switch. 5500 watts. Runs the whole house. It is not an inverter generator but it has run my stove during many power outages for 8 years. Just did two days on it. Some folks say that the newer stoves need "clean" power from a pure sine wave generator, vs a modified one like I have.although it's rms is around 5%. Your best bet would be an inverter generator. More money but safe for all the electronics including the pellet stove.

Two 3,500 watt gennies. Bring one online just for kitchen stuff as needed. Both modified sine wave and one time they had to run the place for two weeks and not one electronic device bit the dust. After years of one day to two week outages I just cut a hole in the wall for the 12 gauge extension cords and quit screwing with running them through windows. And of course we haven't had an outage since.

Reactions: ChandlerR
I have an UPS with surge protection that my pellet stove is plugged into.
If power goes off I turn the thermostat back on the stove, let it shut down then hook up my generator, get it running. I have a manual transfer switch on my breaker box. Once I get on generator power then I turn the thermostat back up and I'm back in business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never tried my Troybuilt 5.5K 220/110 30a generator on the stove, suppose I should someday just so I know it will do it. I have that set up through a transfer switch (the correct way to run a generator in the house, if you want to power most of the house) . But anyway, my boiler is on the generator circuitry so I just heat with oil in a power outage.

My 1992 Vermont Castings 2220 Reliance has run a few times on my 2005 Generac 7500EXL Generator. 7,500 running watts, 13,500 surge watts.