Pre-Insulated Liner - Yay or Nay? This

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KDubU

Feeling the Heat
Dec 16, 2022
Maine
Now that it has been decided I will be lining our masonry chimney, is there any reason not to go with a pre-insulated liner? They may be a bit more expensive but the the time and work of wrapping, pulling the metal meshing over it, etc. for the liner to get it insulated seems like additional work for not that much of a saving. Opinions? Am I missing anything on quality of pre-insulated liners? Looking at sourcing it from Rockford. Tks.

do the pre-insulation. if i were to do it again i'd just buy a pre-insulated liner. dealing with the insulation is just a PIA.

It’s wasn’t too difficult to wrap 25’. Took an hour. I do think the wire mesh might snag on something more so than the pre insulated. If you have an offsets or turn where you will really have to force it you will need a pulling cone. I do like how the mesh meant I could really yank down without pulling apart the liner.

Personally I rarely see the extra money for pre insulated worth it. But we can also have a liner insulated in 15 mins. Pre insulated is also heavier and less flexible. But absolutely more durable.

So really it's a matter of preference. For someone who doesn't do it all the time pre insulated probably makes more sense

Personally I rarely see the extra money for pre insulated worth it. But we can also have a liner insulated in 15 mins. Pre insulated is also heavier and less flexible. But absolutely more durable.

So really it's a matter of preference. For someone who doesn't do it all the time pre insulated probably makes more sense
Lobster on the house if you come do mine.