prefab fireplace question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mxvet747

Hearth Supporter
Sep 23, 2009
Northern IL
Hi. New to forum & to wood. Been reading & have been wanting to get a wood insert for a few yrs. I have a Polte home with a temtex/temco TBF 36-3 prefab fireplace. I have been trying to find info on it, it seems to be a zero clearance type. How can I determine if it is possible to put a wood burning insert into it? I was looking at the hampton hi200.. Any info would be great.

UPDATE~ From what I can make out on the ID tag inside the box it says "Do not use fireplace inserts or other products not specified for use with this product". Does this mean that I am out of luck, or it is ok if it is specified for a ZC box??

I recall thinking that a few of a Quadra-fire inserts were rated for use with zero-clearance fireplaces.

I have one too and I like it.
It'd be nice if it was bigger, but it is what it is.
The fan has to run for good heat, like most all inserts.
Keeps the 1st floor, 1000 ft2 warm, 2nd floor, 1000 ft2 somewhat .

Not sure yet because I installed last spring and only had a few fires to try it out but it seemed to put out some heat. I was not looking to heat the whole house but wanted to make the living room and kitchen more comfortable and hopefully save some propane.

Status
Not open for further replies.