Prefab replacement (Majestic)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EriCS1981

Dec 15, 2016
NY Dutchess County
Hello, I recently purchased a newer construction home with a Majestic br36 prefab fireplace. I'm interested in replacing this unit with high efficiency wood burning unit that will heat my home (2400sq ft.) living room has two story ceilings about 18ft. The chase is located on the exterior of the home and I believe utilizes the majestic sk8 double wall pipe. My questions regarding this replacement is what can I expect as cost to have a unit installed and does the sk8 wall pipe need to be replaced or can a liner be installed in the existing pipe? I did research and found that the Regency ex90 and r90 are compatible with the Majestic sk8 pipe. Are these units worth it? I figured this might be the most cost effective considering I wouldn't need to replace the entire chimney pipe as long as its in decent shape. I am a tradesman so minor so minor framing alterations and interior cosmetic work will be done myself to reduce the cost. Any info or suggestions are welcomed. I am also a professional firefighter with a family occupying the home so fire safety is a big concern... Thanks

Welcome. Well, that is a change. When the FP90 series first came out SK8 chimney was not included. Now it's in the US manual and covered in detail. Sounds like you are good to go with the existing chimney as long as it's in good shape. The current chimney is supported by the fireplace so it's going need to be removed or at least lifted off the fireplace with temporary support during the changeout. Make sure that the alignment is still workable, it may need repositioning and a new top plate if that's the case. Follow the manual and verify that there is a proper firestop in the chase.

Heating with a very high cathedral ceiling can be a challenge. Hot air is going to want to rise and pocket at the peak. A ceiling fan or two will help circulate the hot air.

Ok, also the existing Majestic fireplace has been converted to lp gas. I'm assuming the top flue cap has to be changed as well... Does anybody have reviews on these Regency units and there performance? Considering I have open ceilings is even worth investing the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.