Prefab Timco fireplace to Wood stove help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ejsechler

May 18, 2016
North East Ohio
I need some direction as i am going to tear out this prefab fireplace and need to know if this will be possible.

So the prefab fireplace is built into a chase in the middle of the living room. The chase is running up a combustible wall not on a outer perimeter wall. I was going to tear the fireplace out and then the chase. Then re-build the hearth and put some type of stone veneer on the back wall where the chase use to be running up. My main question is can i use the same piping from the Timco prefab? What i gathered is if the piping is double wall and to spec 103ht that would work...correct? I am looking at installing the Kuma Sequoia wood stove. I went up in the attic to look at the piping coming from down below and come to find that there is a sticker on the piping that just states the piping is class A. Does this signify the piping is 103HT spec?

Different scenario say that piping will not work. Can i run single wall stove pipe up to the ceiling and then run class A from there on out through the roof? The biggest problem i see with this is being the clearance to the combustible wall. I would like to keep the run of pipe in the same location with the same hole to the outside where the chase is on the roof. The run of pipe that i need for the chimney is roughly 25 feet.

If i run single wall up to the ceiling would I benefit more from the heat being throw off the single wall pipe to heat the house rather then double wall?

Any other suggestions would be helpful as i am in the early planning stages and will be starting this project in about 2 months.

I need some direction as i am going to tear out this prefab fireplace and need to know if this will be possible.

So the prefab fireplace is built into a chase in the middle of the living room. The chase is running up a combustible wall not on a outer perimeter wall. I was going to tear the fireplace out and then the chase. Then re-build the hearth and put some type of stone veneer on the back wall where the chase use to be running up. My main question is can i use the same piping from the Timco prefab? What i gathered is if the piping is double wall and to spec 103ht that would work...correct? I am looking at installing the Kuma Sequoia wood stove. I went up in the attic to look at the piping coming from down below and come to find that there is a sticker on the piping that just states the piping is class A. Does this signify the piping is 103HT spec?

Different scenario say that piping will not work. Can i run single wall stove pipe up to the ceiling and then run class A from there on out through the roof? The biggest problem i see with this is being the clearance to the combustible wall. I would like to keep the run of pipe in the same location with the same hole to the outside where the chase is on the roof. The run of pipe that i need for the chimney is roughly 25 feet.

If i run single wall up to the ceiling would I benefit more from the heat being throw off the single wall pipe to heat the house rather then double wall?

Any other suggestions would be helpful as i am in the early planning stages and will be starting this project in about 2 months.
It is very uncommon for a prefab firplace to use an ht chimney. Not to mention once you pull the fireplace there will be nothing supporting the chimney.