Preformance of a Summer Heat stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i recently purchased the Summer Heat 1500 pellet stove from Lowes. At the same time i purchased some Somerset Pellets from Tractor Supply. My stove is in an addition i had just built that is 320 sq ft. This run is off my kitchen and is divided by a sling glass door. With the recent cold snap. I am trying to find out what heat setting would heat my addition and the main house area consisting of a combined space of 800 sq ft. As i am typing i have the stove set on 9 heat and 9 blower. What setting would you guys recommend and should the stove heat the area to a comfortable level. Right now it is not doing very well.

Rutnstrut, welcome to the forum.

The stove you bought is not a 1500....that's the amount of sq. ft it could heat. The stove you bought is an Englander model 55-SHP10L.
Those pellets you bought are a good quality, and that stove, if set up correctly, should burn you out of that small 320 Sq. ft area.

There is NO WAY you should have to have it set at 9-9, especially since you're in Delaware and it's really not cold out yet. However, do NOT expect that small stove to heat the whole house....pellet stoves are room heaters. You MAY be able to get some additional heat into the other parts of the house using fans, but when you blow heated air into the house, there has to be some way for the cold air to get back to the stove room.

Can you you describe the exhaust set-up?

If all else fails, give Englander a call tomorrow and talk to one of the Techs......they should be able to get you straightened out.

So do I understand that you have a door between your 300 ft. addition and the rest of the house, but you are expecting the heat to travel through the doorway to the rest of the house? If so, buy a ceiling fan to push some air around/out of that room.

Setting your stove on 9 and 9 should be roasting you out of the addition I would think. Something isn't right there. I have a similar stove and 5/5 is plenty unless it gets to below 20 degrees F.

Status
Not open for further replies.