pres-to-logs pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smilejamaica

Feeling the Heat
Nov 24, 2008
hartford ct
i went to lowes they had pellets on a skid for sale . 3.99 a bag they are called pres-to-logs. are these made by lignetics . i would have to say yes. since they have there name in small letters on the bag . whats your thought on this and the pellets .

smilejamaica said:
i went to lowes they had pellets on a skid for sale . 3.99 a bag they are called pres-to-logs. are these made by lignetics . i would have to say yes. since they have there name in small letters on the bag . whats your thought on this and the pellets .

Don't know about back there, but out here in the Far Wild West, that's the label for Lignetics. I burned them for years, liked the uniform size and consistent quality. They have had a few problems the last few years, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy and burn them. I am not using them now because of a local manufacturer I like a lot. I am surprised they made it to CT, unless they are licensing the name to someone in the east who is making and packaging under their name.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

I burned a few bags. Along with others for comparing. Low heat from a Lignetics product. A little more ash than I would like to see.

Lignetics has 2 mills.

Lignetics of Idaho
P.O. Box 1706
Sandpoint, ID 83864

Lignetics of West Virginia
P.O. Box 489
Glenville, WV 26351

West Virginia isn't that far from CT. by rail.

littlesmokey said:
smilejamaica said:

Don't know about back there, but out here in the Far Wild West, that's the label for Lignetics. I burned them for years, liked the uniform size and consistent quality. They have had a few problems the last few years, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy and burn them. I am not using them now because of a local manufacturer I like a lot. I am surprised they made it to CT, unless they are licensing the name to someone in the east who is making and packaging under their name.
well i never burned them before i thought they were in different packages . but i have a buddy that looks for them he says lignetics are the best . and at 3.99 a bag thats very cheap for us yankees out here on the east.

jtakeman said:

I burned a few bags. Along with others for comparing. Low heat from a Lignetics product. A little more ash than I would like to see.

Lignetics has 2 mills.

Lignetics of Idaho
P.O. Box 1706
Sandpoint, ID 83864

P.O. Box 489
Glenville, WV 26351

hi i did see your post . thanks for the input . i clean my stove very very often . so im not worried about the ash . i just thought 3.99 a bag was a great price . so i have 4 tons in the cellar of newp and bayou. im just thinking about next year already . for 200.00 a ton ill buy them today for next winter . .. so you would say they are just average to below average .i always was told they were better . thanks again for your input . im going to burn a few bags for giggles to see how they work in my stove

smilejamaica said:
i went to lowes they had pellets on a skid for sale . 3.99 a bag they are called pres-to-logs. are these made by lignetics........

yes, made by Lignetics. And for $199.50/ton, I'd burn 'em! (but buy a couple of bags to test burn first anyway).

As I remember the Sandpoint product is mostly Douglas fir, with some tamarack and other conifers thrown in for good measure. They burned hot for me, but I had to fiddle with the settings at first. Funny ash, light color, fluffy and about average in quantity. I was burning Eurekas also and had hard gritty ash from them. Liked 'em both. Last two years they would not ship to this area, probably because of orders in the East. If they are $200. a ton. buy enough for the rest of the season.

smilejamaica said:
jtakeman said:

Lignetics has 2 mills.

Lignetics of Idaho
P.O. Box 1706
Sandpoint, ID 83864

P.O. Box 489
Glenville, WV 26351

hi i did see your post . thanks for the input . i clean my stove very very often . so im not worried about the ash . i just thought 3.99 a bag was a great price . so i have 4 tons in the cellar of newp and bayou. im just thinking about next year already . for 200.00 a ton ill buy them today for next winter . .. so you would say they are just average to below average .i always was told they were better . thanks again for your input . im going to burn a few bags for giggles to see how they work in my stove

http://www.lignetics.com/

They are made by Lignetics. But they are called Pres to logs for a reason. I really don't think they are just putting in the same stuff in this bag as the Lignetics hardwoods (with conifur). Maybe a tad more conifer(softwood) or some other type of wood fiber.

They also make Lignetics hardwood (with conifur) and Lignetics softwood. They make the Pres to log brand fire place logs too. I will also burn the Lignetics hardwood (with conifer) soon. This should help us see how they compare to The Lignetics hardwoods (with conifer). This is the brand that made them famous.

Pres to logs are something new this year. I would say they are not quite as good as the Lignetics hardwood (with conifer) or softwood. But we shall see.

Lignetics hardwood has green letters on bag. Lignetics softwood has Orange letters on bag.

just my 2
jay

We got to get more West Coasters in here. The difference in name as I understand it is based on name recognition. Lignetics have been around since the beginning of pellet burning. In the Northwest Presto has great name recognition and a following, thus keep the name. Those mystery conifers are Douglas Fir, LodgePole Pine and Tamarrack, By products of the lumber industry.

We all know the pissing match we get into over harwood verses softwood. Fact is more Btu's from the softies???? neener-neener-neener.

littlesmokey said:
We got to get more West Coasters in here. The difference in name as I understand it is based on name recognition. Lignetics have been around since the beginning of pellet burning. In the Northwest Presto has great name recognition and a following, thus keep the name. Those mystery conifers are Douglas Fir, LodgePole Pine and Tamarrack, By products of the lumber industry.

We all know the pissing match we get into over harwood verses softwood. Fact is more Btu's from the softies???? neener-neener-neener.

I said nothing negitive on the softies. I was stating there different. Not the same old Lignetics hard or soft. The conifer was there because thats whats on the bag! Just so they would know, When looking for them.

I am a firm believer in the softwoods. When I can get them. You see most yankees are strict hardwood only because thats what you burn in the wood stove. So there harder to find. I haven't seen Lignetics softwoods here in over 4 years now.

I would be burning Douglas fur 24/7 if I could get it here! Or pay $325 plus per ton!

I have no clue why you think I was bashing softwoods. Neener-Neener-Neener that!

May I ask how many bags of pres to log pellets made by Lignetics have you burned?

jtakeman said:
smilejamaica said:
jtakeman said:

Lignetics has 2 mills.

Lignetics of Idaho
P.O. Box 1706
Sandpoint, ID 83864

P.O. Box 489
Glenville, WV 26351

They are made by Lignetics. But they are called Pres to logs for a reason. I really don't think they are just putting in the same stuff in this bag as the Lignetics hardwoods (with conifur). Maybe a tad more conifer(softwood) or some other type of wood fiber.

They also make Lignetics hardwood (with conifur) and Lignetics softwood. They make the Pres to log brand fire place logs too. I will also burn the Lignetics hardwood (with conifer) soon. This should help us see how they compare to The Lignetics hardwoods (with conifer). This is the brand that made them famous.

Pres to logs are something new this year. I would say they are not quite as good as the Lignetics hardwood (with conifer) or softwood. But we shall see.

Lignetics hardwood has green letters on bag. Lignetics softwood has Orange letters on bag.

just my 2
jay
jay thanks for the input . i knew they sold them in different bags than pres-to-logs. well i got 2 bags im going to see how i like them . i cant compare to the green or orange letter bags cause i never burned them .
take care
tim

smilejamaica said:
jtakeman said:
smilejamaica said:
jtakeman said:

Lignetics has 2 mills.

Lignetics of Idaho
P.O. Box 1706
Sandpoint, ID 83864

P.O. Box 489
Glenville, WV 26351

just my 2
jay
jay thanks for the input . i knew they sold them in different bags than pres-to-logs. well i got 2 bags im going to see how i like them . i cant compare to the green or orange letter bags cause i never burned them .
take care
tim

Tim,

They are an ok pellet, Hard to pass up for that kind of money. Not sure I would want them in my stove in Mid January though! I really was just trying to state there different and they might be just a tad lower quality than the Lignetics we are used to.

Always best to try them 1st. Just in case the stove doesn't like them. Better to be safe thanstuck with a ton that is not burning well in your stove. Can you say Mainewoods anyone?

Some True Values hardware stores have the green labeled Lignetics. There getting $5.99/bag or $269/ton

We don't get a lot of choices in pellets in these parts. I have burned Somersets, American Wood Fiber, and Prestos this year. Local Lowes had Prestos and AWF for 4.78 per bag. The Prestos produce more ash by far than either of the other brands. In the 5 years I've owned a pellet stove I've never seen Lignetics and that was the reason I gave the prestos a shot, especially since the Prestos are made in my home state. I will pass on them in the future, at least for this season, just way too dirty.

My curiosity got the better or me and I had to dig on this a little. Here's something new to me. Pellets and Pellet stoves were an outgrowth of the Presto-log business in Washington. Lignetics is not just one of the oldest producers, but THE OLDEST. I think my grandfather burned a few P-O-L's during the Holidays when I was a kid. They had nice colored flames. While there have been inconsistencies in quality the last few years, they are overall a very good product. They do need a tweaking of settings for air and feed rates, but the ash I had was about the same or less than other pellets I burn. Might be cause one of my stoves is almost as old as Lignetics :-S

jtakeman said:
smilejamaica said:
jtakeman said:

Lignetics has 2 mills.

Lignetics of Idaho
P.O. Box 1706
Sandpoint, ID 83864

P.O. Box 489
Glenville, WV 26351

just my 2
jay

The press to's aren't a new pellet, as I burned a few bags of them last year that I picked up at the local k-mart. They seemed to work out pretty good for me in my Englander.

littlesmokey said:
My curiosity got the better or me and I had to dig on this a little. Here's something new to me. Pellets and Pellet stoves were an outgrowth of the Presto-log business in Washington. Lignetics is not just one of the oldest producers, but THE OLDEST. I think my grandfather burned a few P-O-L's during the Holidays when I was a kid. They had nice colored flames. While there have been inconsistencies in quality the last few years, they are overall a very good product. They do need a tweaking of settings for air and feed rates, but the ash I had was about the same or less than other pellets I burn. Might be cause one of my stoves is almost as old as Lignetics :-S

Actually Lignetics bought the license and product name for the original Pres-to-log. But what they make now is a lower compression product. The original is still make and sold as Northern Idaho Energy Logs. This is a much denser and longer burning fuel. They are still running on the original machinery.

http://www.northidahoenergylogs.com/

We burned Lignetics for the first couple years in the 1200i, but switched to more local fuel and tried for doug fir pellets when possible to get them (Blazers). The Lignetics (softwood) were very good and consistent quality, but for some reason they were smelly. The Blazers smelled so much better. Might be the Ponderosa Pine that Lignetics used.

I am currently burning Lignetics Hardwoods, they are definitely cleaner than both the Cubex and the Okies that I burned this season, much less ash and glass is actually transparent. They seem to burn as hot as both Cubex and the Okies-very scientific...Know nothing about Pres-to-Logs, but would buy the Liggies again in a heartbeat, much cheaper than the Cubex ($260) and Okies($285) at $235 a ton.

Pres-to-logs and Lignetics (green Label) are like night and day. The Press to's have way more ash and less heat then the Green labeled Lignetics do. I think they are the seconds from the lignetics plants that get swept up off the floor and sent to the big box stores like HD and Lowes. I have never tried the Orange labeled Lignetics as they have not been available here in Eastern Pa

I picked up 10 bags last week at Lowe's to give them a try. Not impressed. Higher than normal amount of ash and a noticeable difference in heat output.

Status
Not open for further replies.