Present from Delta airlines

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stoveliker

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2019
Long Island NY
I am happy with my electric chainsaw. Instant start, good power. Easily bucked 2+ ft dia red oak or sugar maple with its 18" bar. Corded, so enough power and unlimited runtime. No stink. Very little noise, and none while "idling ",.zero maintenance for the power unit.

Yet, I am tethered to my home.

I traveled last week to a large (11-12000 people from all over the world) gathering (conference) for work, and Delta asked for 8 folks to give up their seat as they invariably overbook flights.
I did so for $1200. Waited 3 hrs (read a book), and had a transfer instead of a direct flight. I don't mind as I still arrived the same day.

So for one of the gift cards I bought a gas saw. So now I can cut away from home too. A simple Echo cs 4910 with a 20" bar.

Ran it this morning and it's pretty light, well balanced, little vibrations. I think it's nice for occasional use,.and for less than $400 that was a decent present from Delta, I'd say.

Given the week United had I wasn’t expecting a positive present. I haven’t used my gas saws in about a year now.

Reactions: DonTee
Lol,. no present fell in my yard indeed.

Reactions: EbS-P
I’ve heard the Echo gas saws are nice. I have an Echo battery saw and use it for most of my cutting now. When my old Husky gas saw finally dies I’m going to get an Echo 590 or 620.

I watch the aviation news (Juan Brown) and heard about those two United issues. One lost a wheel/tire and the other one missed their turn off at the end of the runway. At least no one got hurt.

When you mentioned a present from Delta I thought maybe another 737 max door flew off and landed in your yard. Lol.

Reactions: stoveliker
We took a voluntary seat bump on our honeymoon...got there a day late, but they bought us transportation, meals and a nice room...got enough in vouchers to take care of most of the airfare on 2 more trips. :cool:

Yeah, they used to do vouchers, but I prefer cash.

Delta's not using the 737 Max. Another bonus from them.

I worked on some Delta 737-900 at my last job. Not the Max series, but I’m pretty sure they have the same door plug design.

I worked on some Delta 737-900 at my last job. Not the Max series, but I’m pretty sure they have the same door plug design.
Hmmm not a fan of that.
Almost every flight i take to utah (8 times a year or so) is on a Delta 737. Not sure which exact versions though.

Bummer, just checked next trip. 737-900

I thought it was only the MAX versions, and then only SOME of the MAX versions that had the door plug problems. As a result none of the MAX ones in Europe were affected.

That suggests that the door plug issue may not be present in other 737s.

(I think this has to do with the lay-out of the plane; in some planes they do have an emergency exit there, and in this MAX version they do not, hence the plug. If one has a different lay-out (different MAX version), there may simply be an exit there.)

That’s correct about the layout. I didn’t pay attention to the pax config on those -900 I worked on. They might have had a door there instead of the plug. I’m just an avionics guy, I only pay attention to the doors if the sensor needs adjustment ;)

From what I’ve read about it, some -900 do have the same door plug as the Max that had the issue.

I think the 900er was requiring door plug checks?

also seeing row 26 can be the door plug row.

Last edited:
Good news is they checked and all the bolts that need to be there are there on all the Maxs

Good news is they checked and all the bolts that need to be there are there on all the Maxs
I'm still trying to avoid the Max if possible. That said i think my return flight next month is on a United Max.

Flying is still safer than driving. Even in a 737 Max

It seems like the FAA is going to watch Boeing a little closer from now on. This might be the last of the Max issues.

It's like walking my new dogs, 90-95% of the time it's fine, But when the squirrel darts out the Pyrenees pulls like a train and the cattle dog mix darts erratically and also pulls hard. That i can still handle no problem. Unles the cattle dog darts across my feet while the Pyrenees pulls straight ahead. The blocker and puller, timed right, can pull me down on my face on the sidewalk. They have not gotten me to face plant yet but they have gotten me pretty close. And i've been fully trained on the simulator. When everything lines up. I'll come out bloody.

And yes they've easily gotten my wife to face plant on the grass in the back yard. She only walks them 1 at a time now.

• Haha
^^That.
It's all relative. Flying is the safest mode of transportation. And even the cleanest mode if going more than 1000 miles or so as compared to a car with 2 people and a 80% full 737 (this was calculated at some point by my dad who flew 737s and 757s after 20 years in the air force in jets).

Regarding the lost door; one more reason to keep that frigging seat belt on whenever you're in your seat.

It seems like the FAA is going to watch Boeing a little closer from now on. This might be the last of the Max issues.
If they don’t have service records for the lost door plug how many other jobs don’t have service records. They forgot to bolt a door onto the plane and no one working around it noticed??? This isn’t an engineering issue. They fixed the mcas software. This is a workman ship issue.

They also reduced the number of multiple sensors and back ups on the Max.
Whether it's workmanship, design, or engineering or anything else. The Max is my last choice if i have one.

My thoughts are it's a sign of diversity hire instead of the best person you can get for the job.
I think it's the tip of the iceberg so to speak.
I read that university's were having a drop in students that could become doctors, so they lowered the criteria to get in.

Reactions: danrclem
I think it's a result of government not checking and enforcing standards.
See the FAA now tightening the oversight.

Same issue with the CE mark on products in Europe. Company checked compliance themselves and declared it was ok.
UL here is much more (not completely) independent.

Plane mfgs should not be their own compliance office...

Though this discussion may need this thread to be moved.to the inglenook rather than the gear (which was chosen based on the echo saw I bought).

Reactions: sloeffle
Can you imagine a drop so hard that people wind up on the ceiling.

Quote from article.
"The plane dipped so dramatically into a nose dive for a couple of seconds and around 30 people hit the ceiling hard," said Daniel, one passenger onboard the aircraft, according to the New Zealand Herald.

I know statistically that flying is safer than driving but when I'm behind the wheel I have some input in what happens. I've been in a few auto accidents and haven't ever got hurt. If I was in a plane crash, odds are, I'd be more than hurt.

Link;