Previous owners burned wood in gas fireplace...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joshalex

Apr 9, 2018
oregon
I have a house built in 1996 that has a pair of gas fireplaces. THese are the types with a key + recepticle where you put a thing in to turn on the gas. The fireplace itself actually has glass doors that fold open, and "chain mesh" which I'd expect on a wood fireplace.

There is definately a gas pipe coming into the fire "pit" with a burner element.

The previous owners used this to burn wood in as evidenced by lots of ash, burnt wood chunks etc.

Anyhow it seems like this is likely a bad thing, and I'd like to get the Gas fireplace part working again. However I'm wondering if burning wood could have damaged the gas pipes/elements and if I should get a "plumber?" to check it out.

Alternatively as this fireplace appears to have a spark chain screen for wood, is there such thing as a hybrid fireplace?

Thanks!

One possibility is that this is a wood fireplace with a gas log starter. If that is the case then it could be ok.

Reactions: Tech Guru
yes, or in some units there were gas starter systems for wood burning- a friend had one like that.

Reactions: Tech Guru