Preway Freestanding Cone Gas Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yocarrie

Dec 5, 2023
Aurora, CO
Hi…

I have finally found the right Preway freestanding vintage fireplace, but can anyone help with an installation manual or some technical questions?

I have not been able to find any install manual online or otherwise.

It’s my understanding that Preway cone units were
designed for wood or gas. I am looking to convert a vintage freeway to gas, with a B vent and gas log insert. We have the gas line run already. *

Questions—
1. *Will the above conversion setup work?
2. Can it be installed directly on hardwood floors?
3. As it’s similar to Malm, can I use those instructions as a guide?
4. What is the clearance from the walls for this style Preway in a corner? ie: same as Malm?
5. This will vent straight up through the 12’ ceiling and then the roof. Any issues to be aware of?
6. Will the unit need electricity?
7. We are in Colorado and this is an indoor install. Any permit/code issues?

I’ve added photos of the unit and install location.

Thanks for any assistance!

Best,
Carrie

IMG_2417.png IMG_2416.png IMG_2411.png IMG_2409.png IMG_0542.jpeg IMG_0541.jpeg IMG_0540.jpeg IMG_0539.jpeg

were you able to convert the Preway fireplace from wood burning to gas ? I'm looking to do the same thing, Thanks