Price increase Green Supreme at Lowes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent an email to Robbie at GT letting him know that you guys in Northern New England were seeing prices at Lowes ~$275/ton, while in Southern New England I got them on sale at $188/ton. Apparently Lowes gave GT's their own SKU in Northern New England (MA, VT, NH, ME) and they have put the price up while keeping the other brands at the lower prices we have seen. Down here the Lowes still only has 1 SKU for all of the brands they stock.

Robbie said that they had contacted Lowes about the price discrepancy between the 2 regions and that Lowes was working to fix it in Northern NE. So those of you up there may want to hold tight and keep checking to see if/when the pricing is adjusted. If you already purchased them at the higher price then check for the price reduction and go back to get the difference refunded.

Good luck.

I just joined recently and I am the guy who first told you all about the lower prices at the Lisbon, CT Lowes. I have to say that I would hesitate before doing it again based on this post. I understand that you are trying to help a fellow pellet burner, and I also agree that vendors have no say as to what price is charged at a big box store. But did it occur to you that after talking to your friend, Lowes would actually raise the price of the Green Teams in southern CT to match the prices up north rather than the other way around? The fact is that all these stores are going to charge whatever they can to make themost profit and if they realize what they have they will maximize the pricing not discount it.......
I don't know about you all but I would not try and educate the person selling me stuff at a great price so they can realize what mistakes they might have made......by the way, the separate sku number for Green Teams is true of all the Lowes in CT, not just a few. I was told this by four different store department managers who are in charge of the pellets. You can easily check this out for yourselves by making a few calls.
Just another viewpoint.......

Reactions: smoke show
I just joined recently and I am the guy who first told you all about the lower prices at the Lisbon, CT Lowes. I have to say that I would hesitate before doing it again based on this post. I understand that you are trying to help a fellow pellet burner, and I also agree that vendors have no say as to what price is charged at a big box store. But did it occur to you that after talking to your friend, Lowes would actually raise the price of the Green Teams in southern CT to match the prices up north rather than the other way around? The fact is that all these stores are going to charge whatever they can to make themost profit and if they realize what they have they will maximize the pricing not discount it.......
I don't know about you all but I would not try and educate the person selling me stuff at a great price so they can realize what mistakes they might have made......by the way, the separate sku number for Green Teams is true of all the Lowes in CT, not just a few. I was told this by four different store department managers who are in charge of the pellets. You can easily check this out for yourselves by making a few calls.
Just another viewpoint.......

I actually did think that the separate sku issue would cause the prices in CT to go higher, that's why I wanted to bring it to the attention of Robbie (he's not my friend, he's the Controller at Green Teams) to make him aware of this. So, I'm not trying to educate the kid at Lowes - heck, he didn't even know how to divide the price of the ton to figure the per bag cost- only the guys at Green Teams. Because let's face it, if Lowes charges that price for Green Teams then I'll pay the extra $10-$15 for Hamers, Turmans or Okies and be happier, or I'll just go with whatever lower priced pellet Lowes or HD is selling. I was letting the people at Green Teams know the situation before Lowes prices them out of the market next season - if Lowes can't move them they may not place such a large order with GT's next year. And when I ordered my GT's at Lowes last Friday, there was only one sku in the system for 'Pellet Fuel'. Maybe they haven't gotten around to assigning a separate sku in my area yet.

I actually did think that the separate sku issue would cause the prices in CT to go higher, that's why I wanted to bring it to the attention of Robbie (he's not my friend, he's the Controller at Green Teams) to make him aware of this. So, I'm not trying to educate the kid at Lowes - heck, he didn't even know how to divide the price of the ton to figure the per bag cost- only the guys at Green Teams. Because let's face it, if Lowes charges that price for Green Teams then I'll pay the extra $10-$15 for Hamers, Turmans or Okies and be happier, or I'll just go with whatever lower priced pellet Lowes or HD is selling. I was letting the people at Green Teams know the situation before Lowes prices them out of the market next season - if Lowes can't move them they may not place such a large order with GT's next year. And when I ordered my GT's at Lowes last Friday, there was only one sku in the system for 'Pellet Fuel'. Maybe they haven't gotten around to assigning a separate sku in my area yet.

I get your point but a couple of things: I was not reffering to the kid at Lowes. I was referring to the district manager who would realize that all pellets aren't equal and raise the price of the the GTs in his area. It is obvious that the district manager of the the CT/ central ma region has not been educated as to the differences in pellets, so that would explain the low price on GTs in his area. Now that GT controller has been alerted, perhaps he gets word to the district that the price of these good pellets are too low, and could be substituted by a "lesser" pellet at the 188 price such as Premiums or...even worse.....Infernos...(heaven help us all).

Either way, the point is that the majority of managers in the big box chains don't have a clue as to the differences in pellets and that can only be good for those of us who do, when things like this happen. Same is true of TSC, Home Depot, etc. They all don't know jack about pellets and personally I don't mind at all.

I think Greene Team would rather be more expensive than the other box store brands. It helps the perception thatthey are better than the rest....to go along with their marketing of platinums and green gold that you find at the dealers at a price of 260-270.

The price hike in Maine coincided with the introduction of Platinum pellets. Everyone in my local Lowes told me they were better pellets, and even though I knew better, I couldn't convince them otherwise. I have not purchased a single bag since then, and told Robbie I wouldn't. Based on comments on here, I gather other's are no longer buying them as well.
Unfortunately, I think there are still enough people out there that will pay the price, so I don't expect the price to come down at all.

That is correct they don't know jack. Lowes Lisbon and Waterford were / are using the same SKU for any and all pellets when I got some. That included 2 tons of Greene Team from Waterford at 188 and 2 tons of Green Supreme from Lisbon at 188 (they were out of GTs and girl at desk said "same SKU for all").

with the prices of gas/fuel lately it's only going to go up, maybe $188 was the deal of the summer........... dont panic.....yet

Status
Not open for further replies.