Pricing a Harman Accentra 52i in Ohio

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger L

Dec 21, 2019
Shreve Ohio
I’d just had a quote done supposedly on the higher end for a new 52i insert installation of almost $8800.00. I thought this was a little high and after going over the quote I’m thinking the prices for the piping was excessive. I’m just checking to see if these are expected prices to pay for my area. I really would like to get one of these installed and any advice would be appreciated. I live in between Wooster and Mansfield Ohio. All advice given is greatly appreciated. I’m new to this site and looking for some help. Thanks to all.
1BC38BB0-02A3-4133-98F4-B24F996E62AD.jpeg

Don’t know who did the quote. You might check Buckeye stoves in Fredericktown. Just a thought.

I’d just had a quote done supposedly on the higher end for a new 52i insert installation of almost $8800.00. I thought this was a little high and after going over the quote I’m thinking the prices for the piping was excessive. I’m just checking to see if these are expected prices to pay for my area. I really would like to get one of these installed and any advice would be appreciated. I live in between Wooster and Mansfield Ohio. All advice given is greatly appreciated. I’m new to this site and looking for some help. Thanks to all.check
Check out Doug's Chimney Sweep & Stove Shop in Strasburg. Took care of me.

You paying $500 too much for the stove - https://thestovecenter.com/products/harman-52i-tc?variant=23545699270714

I have this stove and would never get it. The hopper is comical.

Price per BTU, your gas is cheaper. Get a bigger gas stove for $1k and be done. No hauling not storage.

Accessories should be thrown in. Install can take a competent chimpanzee 20 minutes with youtube.

The store is charging you winter prices. Laugh in their face IRT “good for 30 days!”

That’s why I’m here. Doing my homework by getting as much info about this that I can. I’ve seen the site for the stove center and know there’s better deals to be had. Time will tell and we’ll see which direction I go. Thanks, I appreciate the comments.

We’ve got a gas insert now and it sucks the propane like there’s no tomorrow. I haven’t really checked into the gas stoves because of the fluctuations in prices. We’ve got a good carrier now and are happy with the current prices but like I’d said the prices change so much that I’m worried about getting a gas appliance. I was just starting to look up these appliances and further my research a little. I’m wanting something that’s usable and not just an eyepiece. What we currently have is just a waste of space. Looking for something more than that without breaking the bank.

Where to begin -

Most people who jumped on the pellet craze got onboard when pellets were $125 / ton. Prices are now $250 / ton. Price will continue to go up. Incidentally, American made pellets are the same price exported and sold in Europe. Sound like Standard Oil 2.0?

You are not entirely clear if the pellet stove (and propane) are your primary source of heat or if you intend to make them your primary source of heat? Confirm/deny?

Insert pellet stoves are horrible. I have the pre-mentioned one. Assuming you intend for the stove to be primary heat -

- The small hopper will frustrate you. You will re-fill every 24 hrs
- You do not get radiant heat from an inset. Freestanding stoves are more efficient. Pellet furnaces are more efficient than freestanding.
* Why does efficiency matter? More efficient, less pellets you chuck into the stove. Less plastic bags filling your trash, less time messing with pellets. More quality of life to do other things.
- If you are re-using the flu/chimney/whatever, long flu runs are not ideal for pellets.
* Throw down a pre-made hearth pad, throw your free standing down, run a 90 degree out the back, another 90 degree to the wall, cut a hole throw your house, and cap the puppy. Plug it in and start burning. Put the stove in an ideal location.
** Do not buy Harman's new. Check out craigslist. Locally, some guys sold the biggest Harman freestanding for $1,200. Save the $4K. Does not matter it does not have "TC," see below...
*** A lot of people give away pellet stoves, because as mentioned before, they bought when they made sense (when pellets were $150 / ton). When you are shelling out $1K for 4 tons of pellets to get throw the winter.... plus all the labor involved...
- Temperature fluctuations will require adjustments to your stove feed minimum feed rates for an ideal burn.
* Despite Harman's having Touch Controls (what about a freaking smartphone app), the computers inside are akin to a TI-0. They utilize no machine learning. Despite being in business for years, one would think they know ideal control settings, right? Well, no, not at all. If you are a mechanical engineer, I believe you will actually like pissing with the stove every time temperatures drop or raise. Unless, you do not mind throwing away pellets, then set it and forget it.

This isn’t a primary heat source. We have a propane furnace. Just looking for an area heat source that also has eye appeal. We want to make use of a useless space we currently have. Gas or pellets? Time will tell, will take all comments and information into consideration. New ideas come from others who have experienced what you’ve looking for. Thanks for the input.

Where to begin -

Most people who jumped on the pellet craze got onboard when pellets were $125 / ton. Prices are now $250 / ton. Price will continue to go up. Incidentally, American made pellets are the same price exported and sold in Europe. Sound like Standard Oil 2.0?

You are not entirely clear if the pellet stove (and propane) are your primary source of heat or if you intend to make them your primary source of heat? Confirm/deny?

Insert pellet stoves are horrible. I have the pre-mentioned one. Assuming you intend for the stove to be primary heat -

- The small hopper will frustrate you. You will re-fill every 24 hrs
- You do not get radiant heat from an inset. Freestanding stoves are more efficient. Pellet furnaces are more efficient than freestanding.
* Why does efficiency matter? More efficient, less pellets you chuck into the stove. Less plastic bags filling your trash, less time messing with pellets. More quality of life to do other things.
- If you are re-using the flu/chimney/whatever, long flu runs are not ideal for pellets.
* Throw down a pre-made hearth pad, throw your free standing down, run a 90 degree out the back, another 90 degree to the wall, cut a hole throw your house, and cap the puppy. Plug it in and start burning. Put the stove in an ideal location.
** Do not buy Harman's new. Check out craigslist. Locally, some guys sold the biggest Harman freestanding for $1,200. Save the $4K. Does not matter it does not have "TC," see below...
*** A lot of people give away pellet stoves, because as mentioned before, they bought when they made sense (when pellets were $150 / ton). When you are shelling out $1K for 4 tons of pellets to get throw the winter.... plus all the labor involved...
- Temperature fluctuations will require adjustments to your stove feed minimum feed rates for an ideal burn.
* Despite Harman's having Touch Controls (what about a freaking smartphone app), the computers inside are akin to a TI-0. They utilize no machine learning. Despite being in business for years, one would think they know ideal control settings, right? Well, no, not at all. If you are a mechanical engineer, I believe you will actually like pissing with the stove every time temperatures drop or raise. Unless, you do not mind throwing away pellets, then set it and forget it.

Not sure what you experience is in the pellet stove industry.....but not all of your info is correct.
Most all stoves...freestanding or inserts...require filling more than once in 24 hrs.....unless you have an extended hopper.
Although long flues are not ideal, they will work well and people use them all the time.
I have watched sale venues like CL for years. Never have I seen a Hartman for $1200 in usable condition. Buying a used stove comes with its own set of problems, and not everyone has the time,experience,and money to troubleshoot and repair a used stove.
Ive used pellet stoves for 20 plus years.....the past 9 years as a primary heat source. Never have I had to adjust the feed rate for temperature fluctuations.
Installing a freestanding is more complicated than throwing down a pad and cutting a hole. Clearances to windows, doors, overhangs, prevailing winds, sidewalks decks, etc. all have to be considered.

Not sure what you experience is in the pellet stove industry.....but not all of your info is correct.
Most all stoves...freestanding or inserts...require filling more than once in 24 hrs.....unless you have an extended hopper.
Although long flues are not ideal, they will work well and people use them all the time.
I have watched sale venues like CL for years. Never have I seen a Hartman for $1200 in usable condition. Buying a used stove comes with its own set of problems, and not everyone has the time,experience,and money to troubleshoot and repair a used stove.
Ive used pellet stoves for 20 plus years.....the past 9 years as a primary heat source. Never have I had to adjust the feed rate for temperature fluctuations.
Installing a freestanding is more complicated than throwing down a pad and cutting a hole. Clearances to windows, doors, overhangs, prevailing winds, sidewalks decks, etc. all have to be considered.

A lot of incorrect (or not enough) information.

Larger hopper - can not get with an insert

If everyone started jumping off a cliff, would you think that is OK?

IRT long flues, yup, exactly... As stated... Short - good

Buying new comes with issues... our friend is being charged $8K for a $5K job

One just sold for $1.2K - I've never seen God, but I know God is real..

If you are not adjusting, then you are not burning efficiently. Period.

Putting your shoes on is more complicated than sticking your feet in holes...

Installing in a current fireplace is more complicated then sliding a stove in...

Installed freestanding P-68 @ friend's in 25mins... I am a S/W ENG by trade (not a young hearth buck)...

Last edited:
I thought my direct vent was really easy. And im not that bright... Here is what I have learned. Installed an englander, direct vent. Installed a stat. Load pellets in am before work, scoop out ash, wipe off window. After work, scoop ash again and top off hopper. Once a week, shut down, vac all ashes, wipe window, turn back on. Been running mine almost 24/7 past two weeks. After initial adjustments its been set and forget. House is a constant 70-73deg unless it is over 40deg outside, then we get a little warmer. Dont notice house any dustier than before.

Pro's: Heating my house for way less than oil
warm heat compared to other sources
set and forget with minimal maintenance/cleaning
nice fire to sit in front of and watch
No blk smoke rolling from my chimney bothering the neighbors

Cons: wont get a Christmas card from my oil company this year...

A lot of incorrect (or not enough) information.

Larger hopper - can not get with an insert

If everyone started jumping off a cliff, would you think that is OK?

IRT long flues, yup, exactly... As stated... Short - good

Buying new comes with issues... our friend is being charged $8K for a $5K job

One just sold for $1.2K - I've never seen God, but I know God is real..

If you are not adjusting, then you are not burning efficiently. Period.

Putting your shoes on is more complicated than sticking your feet in holes...

Installing in a current fireplace is more complicated then sliding a stove in...

Installed freestanding P-68 @ friend's in 25mins... I am a S/W ENG by trade (not a young hearth buck)...

You win. I learned a long time ago not to waste my time time arguing with drunks or idiots.

Reactions: bholler
I thought my direct vent was really easy. And im not that bright... Here is what I have learned. Installed an englander, direct vent. Installed a stat. Load pellets in am before work, scoop out ash, wipe off window. After work, scoop ash again and top off hopper. Once a week, shut down, vac all ashes, wipe window, turn back on. Been running mine almost 24/7 past two weeks. After initial adjustments its been set and forget. House is a constant 70-73deg unless it is over 40deg outside, then we get a little warmer. Dont notice house any dustier than before.

Pro's: Heating my house for way less than oil
warm heat compared to other sources
set and forget with minimal maintenance/cleaning
nice fire to sit in front of and watch
No blk smoke rolling from my chimney bothering the neighbors

Cons: wont get a Christmas card from my oil company this year...

You can do a lot of things with your stove. If you set it and forget it, you are wasting pellets.

This thread is locked. There is no need for this type of behavior here. We are (I assume) all adults. This behavior is childish at best. The OP asked a question & got some good answers. Whether you agree with them or not, is up to you, but keep the snide comments out of here.

Reactions: begreen and webfish
Status
Not open for further replies.