primary air control n/w

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turkeyfoot

Mar 1, 2014
GOODVIEW VIRGINIA
This sites members have made things easy for my new wood stove and really appreciate all Ive learned. I have a newer Hearthstone Heritage. 2 weeks since it was installed.

The primary air mechanism doesnt work. Whether its open (all the way left) or closed (all the way right) the fire dies. The mechanism is faulty. When I open the ash pan door the fire rages. No smoke enters the room so you know I have a draft.
I called Hearthstone it was suggested that I look from the back towards the front down the air tunnel. I had an Iphone pointed so I could video the mechanism while moving the air control. It is connected. He says call the dealer or drop the pan (6 bolts and heavy) being mindful of the seal and inspect. He said maybe cement had dropped onto the opening.He mentioned something about wood shimming too, as he did that to his.
Im using metered seasoned wood that falls in at about 14.
I dont want to prejudge the dealer but called and got a deafening no answer so gather Im queued on voice mail for when he can get to me.
Looking at it firsthand Ive got to believe that getting it up on jacks to provide enough room to peer around is required. Either that or mirrors and flashlight and a heavy dose of juggling pieces and tools.
Im a former tech so thats the way I view things.
Hearthstone said they had a bulletin on it but stopped short when I requested he email it to me.

Looking at the internal mechanism it appears the primary hand control attaches to a disk that has a cutout that positions itself when turned to allow air into the firebox.
I attempted to attach a clip showing the mechanism but I guess it only takes single photos. Anyways I thought Id put this out there with the hope of some ideas from those of you who've dealth with this before.
Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.