Princess insert question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hma

Mar 17, 2012
Ohio
So I have a princess insert and am curious about my install. I have a fully insulated block off plate and insulation around the entire firebox. The surround was too small for the install and leaves a 4 inch gap at the top. If everything is insulated would I have to run the blower? I’m thinking low blower at all times for a little circulation but even on high burn rate not sure that blower would need to be on high given the heat is escaping through the gap. Thoughts?

Attachments

• Princess insert question
    E0720F2C-D748-4DE7-B148-06B4D3B7FF76.jpeg
    107 KB · Views: 135
  • Princess insert question
    C3D9526E-1A1C-47D4-AAB7-9BE766864599.jpeg
    178.3 KB · Views: 137
Run the blower based on your demand for heat. If you’re cold and leaving the blower on low then turn it up, or down if your hot. With a BK being so controllable it’s pretty easy to match the blower and burn rate to fit your needs without much adjustment throughout the burn.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I don’t believe I worded that right. Will I get longer burn times by not running the blower and also get the same amount of heat output since there is no enclosure at the top. Heat should just escape from the large gap. In a sense it would be like a free standing.

Reactions: YAGER85