Private pellet "sales"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Peterfield

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2013
New Hampshire
Starting to notice an uptick in CL ads for "premium" and "ultra premium" pellets, with per bag prices between $6.25 to $7.00+ and tons from $325 to $395. I guess there are plenty of pellets around if you want to pay the freight. The usual reasons are given - pellets don't like my stove, bought too much, decided not to connect stove, using oil heat, etc. The best ad is this one: 240 pounds of American Fiber Wood Fuel Pellets, will deliver within a reasonable distance, asking $100 for the lot. Art first I was excited until I got out a calculator. I'm all for free enterprise but geez.

I know. I was interested and emailed him thinking it was a typo and he wrote back calling me a troll.

Starting to notice an uptick in CL ads for "premium" and "ultra premium" pellets, with per bag prices between $6.25 to $7.00+ and tons from $325 to $395. I guess there are plenty of pellets around if you want to pay the freight.

Isn't that the usual price for the better stuff?
Lowes had Team Greens for $6.25 yesterday. $297
Woodpellets.com has Cleanfire Pacifics for $330 and DF's for $420.

That's pretty much what they have been selling for all along.

No problem with the good stuff but Green Supreme's for $6.50 or North Americans for $7 is up there.

No problem with the good stuff but Green Supreme's for $6.50 or North Americans for $7 is up there.

It is, I agree.
But you mentioned "premium and ultras"..;)

I don't usually put the GS or NA in that category..

It was the sellers description in the ads I was quoting, not my own feeling of certain brands. I have paid more for better pellets and there is certainly a difference in performance but I guess each user had to decide what they will or won't put up with.

Reactions: Pete Zahria
Here's a current example of what I was referring to:

i have new unopened bags of fire side wood pellets for sale $10 dollars a 40 pound bag their is a 5 bag minimum. i don't sell pellets for a living people where stopping at my house and offered to buy them said there was a shorted and that's what the offered so it seamed to be a good price

The pellets are Fireside Ultras. If a merchant bought them to sell at that price, they need to get out of the business.

Here's a current example of what I was referring to:

i have new unopened bags of fire side wood pellets for sale $10 dollars a 40 pound bag their is a 5 bag minimum. i don't sell pellets for a living people where stopping at my house and offered to buy them said there was a shorted and that's what the offered so it seamed to be a good price

The pellets are Fireside Ultras. If a merchant bought them to sell at that price, they need to get out of the business.
10.00 a bag for any pellets is Insane...the FSU's? double the price that HD get's for them.
I understand some people out of pellets but I cheaper to turn there furnace on..

Good for you! And not so good for others. All depends on your lot in life and how you look at things. Some folks can't buy or store that many. You are lucky to be able to, and I hope you feel the same way when YOU get the short end of the stick. Peace

Last edited:
That's cool but some folks unfortunately are lemmings that are scammed by falling for the hype in ads saying beat the shortage and buy my Green Supreme's for $7.00 or $8.00 a bag or North Americans for $10.00 a bag. Shipments were delayed this winter and pellet snobs couldn't find their Sets or Turman's at times but there wasn't one instance when driving around I couldn't find pellets at fair prices. Just saw a post that HD in Hookset had FSU's for $4.98/bag and I just walked into a TSC that was unloading two truckloads. Just need to do a little homework and know where to look. Hoping for a mild winter next year to watch those who hoard squirm a bit. Turnabout fair play.

Great so when single baggers need some theres none left.

Late in the season, I frequented sellers that were limiting to 10 bags. I wanted to give them my business as they always had a good stock and they weren't gouging the price because of that. I know there are regional holes in supplies for some reason but even the local grocery store a couple of miles from me always has two tons waiting in their parking lot. When I see them sold one day, within two days there are another two tons that have taken their place. Tell me how they can get them on demand when other businesses can't. My local Agway is the same in that I have never been in their store when they didn't have a healthy supply on hand. Confuses me why some can get their hands on pellets and others seem to be in a black hole.

What grocery store is stocking pellets? Heck, even the hardware store around here doesn't stock them, and If I go about 10 miles to the next town, they just have Green Supremes (or at least had tehm just after Christmas - I don't know about now) - which I have never used, but from reports here, they aren't too good. Of course, neither are the Curran's I've been burning this year, so maybe I should try them ==c . However, I'm more inclined to go get some more FSU's from HD if I needed more.

Harvester Market in Greenfield. Have had Warmfront, Green Supreme's, Geneva hardwood, and a couple of others I didn't check on. There is also a Harvester Market in Henniker but I don't know whether they stock pellets. Just found a lumberyard that stocks pellets and my local Bellettes hardware store, both in Peterborough and Jaffrey, have been stocking Maine Wood Pellets for several years, never ran out and I only found out last week they have had them all along.

Last edited:
You are lucky to be able to, and I hope you feel the same way when YOU get the short end of the stick
Not sure that putting out cash in the summer, paying more taxes on a larger property that can store pellets, on top of paying probably more for the property to start, handling them twice, and selling 6 months later for hopefully a profit,.......... would be considered luck?

Not sure that putting out cash in the summer, paying more taxes on a larger property that can store pellets, on top of paying probably more for the property to start, handling them twice, and selling 6 months later for hopefully a profit,.......... would be considered luck?
No handling my garage is 30/30 just use pallet jack . And still plenty room for cars

Status
Not open for further replies.