Problem installing co-linear pipe for gas fireplace conversion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dw1973

Sep 4, 2013
I want to convert my wood burning fireplace into a gas fireplace. The problem I have is my chimney goes up about 4ft via masonry brick with slotted vents then angles to a pipe going through the roof. Problem I have is the two 3 inch co-linear pipe will not fit through the masonry brick slots shown in the pic attached. Somehow I have to enlarge the slots to accommodate the co-linear pipe for the gas fireplace. Any ideas/recommendations? DW

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 137
Those blocks look structural. It's likely that they can't be altered. It's extremely odd to have those blocks in there like that, that's a first for me!

That is odd. Are they really masonry blocks or a metal manifold? Try scratching one with a screwdriver.

I scratched them - they are masonry. Installer said he needs 8 in of space to install the two 3 inch pipes for the gas fireplace. I uploaded more photos of the fireplace.

Attachments

• IMG_6956.JPG
    IMG_6956.JPG
    238.8 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_6953.JPG
    IMG_6953.JPG
    260 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_6957.JPG
    IMG_6957.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 90
  • photo-332.jpg
    photo-332.jpg