Problem with Quadrafire Castile operation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

unioncreek

Oct 9, 2019
southeastern Washington
A little background. I have a 2007 Quadrafire Castile FS stove. Two years ago I had to replace the control box and since that time it would operate erratically, if would fail to start from time to time

. This year I took it out on my deck took it all apart and used a vacuum and air compressor to clean it up. I also tightened up all the electrical connections. I put it back in and it will operate flawlessly during the day, but in the morning when it starts up it will heat the room part way and then shut down. The thermostat is still calling for heat and the red light in the stove is on. I can push the reset button on the back of the stove and it will start up and run. I'm wondering if the snap disc on the drop tube is faulty and after the stove runs for an extended period that it snaps. I'm not at home right now, but the snap disk that I'm referring to is not the one that I can push the reset on by the auger motor. There are heat insulated wires that go into the stove up by the auger motor that I think hook up to a snap disc. When the stove does shut down like this you always have to push the reset button on the back of the stove to get it to start again.

Also, can someone give me a run down on what the different color lights mean on the control box.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited:
From the manual
Snap Disc #3 (Back Burn Protector) 250°F Snap disc #3 is mounted on the back of the auger tube in the center of the appliance and has a red reset button. To access it remove the right side panel. If the fi re tries to burn back into the feed system or push exhaust up the feed tube, this snap disc will shut the entire system off. This disc must be manually reset.

Manual here

I know where the #3 snap disc is. I'm talking about snap disc #2, it's up in the same area, but inside the stove. You can't see it, just the wires going into the stove. What is the purpose of that one? I'll have to see if I can get a pict of it tonight.

From the Manual
. Snap Disc #2 (Fuel Delivery Interrupt) 250°F Snap disc #2 is also located on the backside of the feed drop tube. There are 2 orange wires connected to it. This snap disc will turn off the feed system which will turn off the appliance if an overfire condition should occur or if the convection blower should fail to operate. If this occurs the snap disc will automatically reset itself.

Just a suggestion maybe you should read the manual
It really helps

When your stove goes out is the burn pot overfull? unburnt pellets

I downloaded the manual at work, then forgot to bring it home. I'll have to find it online tonight and read it.

I attached a picture and I believe the white wires go to snap disc #2. The firepot is empty when it will not restart. When I push the reset on back of the stove it will start right up. I've never had to push the reset on snap disc #3. Is it possible that snap disc #2 fails to reset when it gets too hot? Does snap disc #2 need to be replace from inside the stove? I haven't seen anything about replacing it. Last winter when the stove ran for long periods of time it would shut down and fail to restart.

Bob

I read the manual and realized the flame is 6 to 8 inches tall. I was going to adjust the feed rate in the hopper, but it's as low as it goes. I think the stove is over heating. When I bought the new control box it had a of the settings, but I lost the paper. The paper said to set the dial on #4 and there is also a setting of +10% and -10%. But, I don't know what to turn it to, to get the -10%/

Bob

For some reason the picture didn't load.

Castille.jpg