Problems finding an installer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phadippides

Nov 3, 2008
NE PA
I want to put a Woodstock Fireview in a two story great room, having it vent through the ceiling and out the roof. I have been searching for two months to find an installer and the majority dont want to do it since I am not buying the stove from them. I thought I found one, but they just told me they thought it might be a problem going through the ceiling and would be too advanced for them. Is this a common problem? I've been through the CSIA list and cant find a single installer, does anyone have any advice? I'd hate to vent it outside when inside should be much better (from what I have read here).

You may have to look at hiring a carpenter and a certified sweep to do that install for you. Unless you are fortunate like I was and have a sweep who is also a certified tradesman (carpenter). No doubt that most dealers really resent the fact ya didn`t buy from them. It sucks, but that just seems to be human nature.

post where you really live and possibly someone will know somebody in your general vicinity.

I live in the scranton area. I will check out those other sites that were mentioned as well as the carpenter idea. Thanks for the replies.

hire a helper that has carpentry skills, read your owners manuel & diy.
I put both my stoves in myself 3 years ago with no problems. Pay special attention to clearances to combustables & getting the proper stack piping, probably double walled insulated stainless steel.

You can order the stack piping from an on line vender & talk to him over the phone before you order to make sure you have the right stuff.

Do it yourself is not for every one though. If you are handy, go for it. If not, then keep looking for an installer. You must insure that your install is up to all applicable codes.
Sometimes, this means reading the instructions through as many times as it takes to under stand them.

You might take a look on www.craigslist.com and click on the craigslist for your area, just to see if any one has that service or to find a skilled helper. I don't know how steep your roof is
but if it is like an A frame, I could understand why no one wants to do the job. It isn
t easy trying to work up the top of a 14 foot ladder & with a two story great room, you may need scaffolding, instead.

You can rent scaffolding, but whats the top of the roof like..(how steep?)

Status
Not open for further replies.