Programming T-stat to start englander 25 PDV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warminny

Jan 10, 2009
central ny
I have my pellet stove in a 16' sq room that's off our main house. I just installed it this fall. It was way too hot and we burned more pellet just keeping the room warm even though it did trickle in the main house. I turn down the low burn setting and put a programmable T-stat on the stove so it won't burn on high after room gets 70. Me question is can I use the programmable T-stat and wire into the electronic control board so I can have it auto start say an hour before we get up and come home from work and be able to turn it off at night (threw the proper shut down sequence)? I also burn wood for the main heat source. I know you can't just turn off the AC to it. But can I do something to "push" the on and off button on control board? Thanks for the help.

ask him to respond on this thread tho, cause I have been curious how the thermostat works with these stoves

I'm positive the 25-PDVC cannot be turned on or off with the thermostat, not sure the PDV is the same. From what I've read here, the thermostat will change the feed/blower setting only, and the stove must be running for it to work.

The thermostat runs the stove on high until it reaches temp and then will cycle down to 1-1 on all stoves except the multi-fuel and ep models, these will cycle off and restart as needed.

That's right when I start the stove it burns on 5 ( or what ever the high burn is set for) when temp reaches set point it changes it to the low burn setting. If temp drops it goes back to high. I guess it'll save pellets. Theres a jumper wire on back of control board, remove that and replace threw T-stat. I would like to tap in on the control board with maybe a relay if possible and let the stat control the on off stage. I will investagate further and post.

When I push the on button, the exhaust fan starts, triggers the vaccuum switches, auger starts, ect. (maybe not in right order) pellets burn we get heat. Either on high or low that isn't the issue. Pushing the off button auger stops, stove cools, exhaust fans goes to timed set, stove stops. I can't put a PAM relay into the control panels connection for the on off buttons so a programmable thermostat can't trigger them on seperate times? I realize it's high low burn only. I'm not familular with the electronics of it but if you can break the line for the on-off part and series a relay you should be able to control the stove remotely. Is that far fetched? Wouldn't that be good for people who don't want the stove on 24-7?

From what I understand the new EP model can do it but not the PDVC or PDV. And to answer your next question "Can I put an EP control board in a PDVC or PDV?" the answer is "I don't have a clue if you can or not?". :lol:

BrotherBart said:
From what I understand the new EP model can do it but not the PDVC or PDV. And to answer your next question "Can I put an EP control board in a PDVC or PDV?" the answer is "I don't have a clue if you can or not?". :lol:

the EP is a single auger spillover feed, with an indirect igniter , the pdv/pdvc are dual auger direct feed igniter and in testing we found that the igniter can get fouled when reignited with a dirty burn pot causing inconsistant starting so we did not build in an on/off t-stat function for that reason. i just wouldnt light consistantly enough for us to feel comfortable to set the stove up with that option. the descision was made with the average customer in mind. we want consistancy and the setup with an on/off was just not reliable enough for us to feel comfortable in offering it.

This 25 PDVC is my first pellet stove, I'm glad I found this site. Being new I wasn't cleaning my burn pot every time I shut it off manually.More or less when I thought of it. I'm doing that now. My idea would work but it basically comes down to maintenace and knowledge of how these work. Before I bought this I thought a bag of pellets would last a good full day on low. My first day a bag lasted barely over night, after an adjustment it's alot better. On real cold nights, it makes a lot of difference when we wake in the morning when our primary heat (wood) dies down. I'm sure there's perks to different stoves but I was trying to do something with what I have. Being an electrician I'm prone to have things more automatic then manually done.

Hey Mike,
Can the 240 Max be hooked up to a On/Off tstat? My father in law has one and was asking me if he could...I think it has a smilar set up with the single auger as the new EP's.

Status
Not open for further replies.