Propane Fireplace problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whoppr

Jan 25, 2013
Hi...

I have a Majestic (Vermont Castings) propane stove/fireplace. I did my usual testing ahead of the colder months and have had some problems. First the pilot would not stay lit. I cleaned it out and seems to be working.

in order to clean the pilot, I removed the ceramic logs but placed them back. Since then I cannot get the stove lit or it takes a several seconds with a louder than usual ignition. I got it lit with a longer than usual and louder than usual ignition.

It has since been impossible or hard to light. Thoughts?

It is a RFS42 TP

Thank you....

I vacuumed it. I think the manual recommends canned air and have since bought a can, but have not had a chance to try it yet.... Having trouble having the pilot even stay lit. when it lit, it took a few seconds and was loud and enough to shake some buildup loose. I have to take the logs apart and clean both pilot and maybe the valve. I am concerned if the valve is bad since it is discontinued.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Did you check the orifice? May be partially plugged. Check to make sure the pilot light and thermocouple are positioned properly. A bad thermocouple will make a pilot light not stay lit.

do you have the Honeywell valve that has 2 thermocouples to run the valve some of those older majestic stove had that valve/ pilot assembly which if that is the case they do not make a retro fit kit that is factory approved for free standing stoves, they only approved it for use in their fireplaces. I have had success in the past pulling the orifice out and being able to clean them up but you need to be a little bit on the careful side of things