Propane space heater while on vacation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DeeGore

Feb 25, 2011
minnesota
Wood stove is my only heat source in northern Minnesota. We are going to Arizona for two weeks for Christmas. Any reason I can't leave a propane space heater connected to a 30lb tank on low while I'm gone. No pets or people will be there so no worry about CO2 poisoning. I have a clay floor and 8 ft to the nearest combustible. I'm just trying to keep the pipes from freezing.

We used a Buddy heater while living in an RV one winter. Connected it to a 100 lbs propane tank outside. It did run continuously for days sometimes. I don’t know that I would trust it running for two weeks without me there though. Especially if that’s all that’s keeping the pipes from freezing.

I also don’t think a space heater is going to keep an entire house above freezing. We were heating a 300 sq ft space with it and struggled to keep it in the 60’s. This was in upstate NY

I’m trying to remember how much we used per week with the buddy heater. Originally we used 20 lbs tanks. I think we went through one of those every 4-5 days.

+1 on just draining the pipes. We have lots seasonal camps here that get closed up for the winter. It’s not that hard. Just don’t forget about things like the water heater and washing machine.

+1 on drain the pipes.
Depending on size of the stove and where you have it set to come on it could drain that tank the first day.

For reference I’ve got a 30k btu blue flame hanging in the basement and hooked to a 500 gal tank as back up heat. House is all electric. The first winter I was here we heated the whole house with it…2700sqft up stairs including the attached garage and 900 sqft finished basement. Stove is in the basement at the bottom of the steps coming upstairs. I’m sure we have significantly milder winters here than you see and I drained that whole 500 gal tank in 3 months.

That being said the house wasn’t what I would call well insulated or air sealed that first winter…

I’m trying to remember how much we used per week with the buddy heater. Originally we used 20 lbs tanks. I think we went through one of those every 4-5 days.

+1 on just draining the pipes. We have lots seasonal camps here that get closed up for the winter. It’s not that hard. Just don’t forget about things like the water heater and washing machine.
I’ve always been curious how to winterize the clothes washer pump. I suppose I’d pour antifreeze down the hoses and then engage the pump to make sure it’s cycled, but I’ve never done it. Houses have lots of little things that’d be harder to remember. Dishwasher, hydronic baseboard system, ice maker on fridge.. the more complicated the house is, the more there is to remember!

Water heaters aren’t bad.

Air compressors can help if your house wasn’t plumbed to drain.

Our seasonal cabin is simple. Turn off the water, open drain for the system. Drain water heater. Open sink faucets to make sure those are empty. Vacuum out the toilet tank and basin. Add antifreeze to the toilet basin and sink traps to stop sewer gas. The sprayer on the sink is the easy one to forget to disassemble!

I’ve always been curious how to winterize the clothes washer pump. I suppose I’d pour antifreeze down the hoses and then engage the pump to make sure it’s cycled, but I’ve never done it. Houses have lots of little things that’d be harder to remember. Dishwasher, hydronic baseboard system, ice maker on fridge.. the more complicated the house is, the more there is to remember!

Water heaters aren’t bad.

Air compressors can help if your house wasn’t plumbed to drain.

Our seasonal cabin is simple. Turn off the water, open drain for the system. Drain water heater. Open sink faucets to make sure those are empty. Vacuum out the toilet tank and basin. Add antifreeze to the toilet basin and sink traps to stop sewer gas. The sprayer on the sink is the easy one to forget to disassemble!
I winterize a few houses and camps here.

First I either pull the CB for the well pump, or if it has city water I turn off the shutoff valve at the road. For the places with city water I also take apart the meter valve and drain it.

Most of them have drains in a few places in the basement plumbing. I pull the drains and shake the pipes. Drain the water heater etc.

One house has pipes in the slab. For that one I use my air compressor and blow out the pipes.

For the washing machine I do exactly like you’re thinking. Unhook hoses and pour antifreeze in them while turning on the cold and hot water settings.
Same thing for the dishwasher.

For the toilets I drain all the water from the tank and bowl, then fill the tank halfway with antifreeze and then flush it.

For the sink and tub traps I just fill with antifreeze. I used to take them apart (the sinks that is) but it’s easier to just pour some antifreeze down the drain.

And I’m sure there are a few more things I’m forgetting.

I think the most important thing for people is to know their houses plumbing system. My wife has friends down in PA that had to leave their house last year during the winter. They lost power and wouldn’t be getting it back soon. They had no way to heat the house so they had to get a motel room.
I asked her to ask them if they had taken care of the water before they left. They had no clue what to do.

Reactions: sloeffle
Yup. Drain the system. Even if you use some kind of heater.

You can likely drain most of it right through the hot water tank...

Then light air pressure through all of the taps. Flush the toilet, as mentioned. Get all of the water out of all of the traps. Get a jug or 3 of rv antifreeze.

It's not very hard, really.

The fridge ice maker would be an easy one to miss..