Propane Stove Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KeithMarchand

Apr 22, 2021
Groton, MA
We are repurposing our 1972 Jotul 118 and looking to add some ambiance to our living space. We have a pretty unique fire place that is is the centerpiece of our open living space at ~8 ft wide x floor to ceiling (vaulted ceiling at that which is approx 20 ft high) made of old Brick in the late 1940's. The fireplace opening is 4Ft wide by 30 inches high. Our open concept living space is 40x20, again with vaulted ceilings and tons of glass (straight in front of fireplace is 18 ft x 7 ft glass with many other windows in the space).
The fire is not primary heating source as we have Geothermal, so it is mostly used for comfort heat and again ambiance. However considering Geo Thermal requires power, the fire becomes the heating source in the case of a power outage so planning for the worst I'd like to maximize BTU output.
We have decided to switch to gas. This eliminates the need for a hearth and provides an immediate on/off capability that is much needed given the parameters of our main heating system and zoning setup. We also have decided a free standing unit makes more sense than the insert due to the curved face of the firebox (a little hard to see but the entire fireplace has a curved face).
Given our firebox is ~48 Wide x 30 High we are very interested in a unit with a similar aspect ratio. Something like the image below would be ideal but all the options I'm seeing online that have that ratio seem to be UK or European based companies, which is fine, but I'm not seeing availability in the US. I've included the dimensions (clearly not to scale) of the firebox and a pic of my space as well.
Considering all this I'm curious what options readers on this forum might recommend given this info.
Thanks in Advance

Fire Box dimensions.jpg Stove Example.PNG 20211227_143308.jpg

Thanks Bob,
That Jotul is 31 inches tall so too big for my firebox. I think I've found the until for us. HearthStone Waitsfield DX. https://www.hearthstonestoves.com/product/waitsfield-dx/
It has glass on 3 sides and since it will be sitting 1/2 out of my firebox it will provide great views of the flame from my Kitchen as well.
If anyone has experience with this stove or has further advice it would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Wakefield DX.PNG

So we pivot once again, after much discussion about the Hearthstone Waitsfield it's just a tad too big for our application. We are now thinking an insert is a better option given our dimensions and we will sit the unit (including the faceplate) inside the firebox. The face plate will need to be cut or bent rearward so it fits precisely in the opening so we can sit it back to prevent having a gap at the top due to the rounded face of the fireplace.
We are considering the Heat and Glo Supreme I35 as they can make the custom surround and it is quite a large display area to maximize the view.
I'm interested in good/bad/ugly comments about the quality of this stove or Heat and Glo's other products as well as their service.
Appreciate any help you all can provide.

The HnG units are good heaters & the surround CAN be modified to fit your opening. Best Fire Hearth & Patio in Troy, NY, has done many of those surround modifications & they really look great. I realize they’re 3 + hours from you, but if your local dealer doesn’t feel confident making those mods, I’d give them a call…