Propane Tanks in Ontario

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Donl

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Ontario
Has anyone had any success in finding a source for used propane tanks here in Ontario. I thought I had a source lined up in Belleville, however all of a sudden that source refuses to sell. This has been what I have found from all local sources so far.

Don

I am working on a supplier right now. One of our local fuel suppliers just bought an independent propane supplier and has a yard full of used tanks. They say, so far, that they will sell them, but the issue is finding a price. I haven't been in touch with them for a while, but I will try my contact there again today.
I know that Superior propane will not sell used tanks, and if you go to their yard there are no used tanks around. They obviously have a solution for disposal of old tanks.

Medman said:
I am working on a supplier right now. One of our local fuel suppliers just bought an independent propane supplier and has a yard full of used tanks. They say, so far, that they will sell them, but the issue is finding a price. I haven't been in touch with them for a while, but I will try my contact there again today.
I know that Superior propane will not sell used tanks, and if you go to their yard there are no used tanks around. They obviously have a solution for disposal of old tanks.

Let us know how you make out. As for what Superior Propane does with their used propane tanks. They tell me they are shipped to their own salvage yard in Alymer Quebec. You are correct, they won't sell any tanks. They told me that they did just a short while ago,however someone got hurt or something, and they don't want to be liable.

Don

Bondo said:
Ayuh,....

Just a thought,...
Maybe you guys should be looking for Steel Recyclers, instead of Propane Suppliers....

I think Kimco is big up your way...

Thanks Bondo. Kimco has a recycling facility in Kingston. I will give them a call tomorrow.

Don

Dakota_ said:
Don, where abouts do you live?

25 minute drive north of Belleville in Springbrook.

Don L said:
Bondo said:
Ayuh,....

Just a thought,...
Maybe you guys should be looking for Steel Recyclers, instead of Propane Suppliers....

I think Kimco is big up your way...

Thanks Bondo. Kimco has a recycling facility in Kingston. I will give them a call tomorrow.

Don

I talked to someone at Kimco in Kingston yesterday and they said they don't recycle large propane tanks at all, just small barbecue tanks. I'm having a difficult time trying to find any source of LP tanks here in Ontario. Any other suggestions???

Status
Not open for further replies.