Propane vs pellet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rombi

Dec 17, 2007
Green Bay Wi
Here is my situation that I first posted/
I built a new room and I was wondering if any of you HVAC guys could help me out. The new room has a full basement (unheated at the moment) under it that one day will be finished and heated. Hooking it up to our current forced air is going to be $2000 so I thought it is a good time to look at options like a pellet stove in the bsement. Are those floor vents safe? I mean in a fire I would think that they would be a bad thing. Do they make vents that have a fire hinge on them? Like when a fire starts it shuts the hole. The placement of the vent (vents) would be over the the pellet stove and it should hat our 225 sq. ft room and also the rest of the basement. I do not want to do this if there isn’t an approved vent. I grew up in a house that had a floor grate and it actually was pretty good for the bedroom above it. I live in WI and this room started cooling off already. Unheated our basement (part garage area) stays about 45 unless it -20 for a few days then it gets below freezing. A little electric wall heater will heat it up so I think a pellet stove will do great. If I keep the door open from the upstairs it will warm up down there in time.
Thanks
Tom

My new question is do you think it will be cheaper to go with a propane heater in the basement or a pellet. I know the pellet is more expensive up front. Our garage/basement is insulated pretty good minus the garage door. The room that the pellet or propane heater will be in is right under the new room and is the same size of course as the new room. I can block that room off so the heat will stay in there and go up through the vents. I looked at both today at Fleet Farm and the BTU’s were close 42,000 pellet vs 45,000 for the hanging propane price was around 1300 pellet and 430 propane.

Go with LP it leaves us more pellets.

Eric

kinsman stoves said:
Go with LP it leaves us more pellets.

Eric

LOL..he's far enough away from us that it shouldn't make a differnce...or will it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.