Proper Chimney Chase construction, moisture, heat....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm installing a new fireplace and am in the process of reconstructing the chimney chase interior.
It is 28' high, it was only insulated to 8', and the first (and only) firestop for the previous unit was not insulated on top.
The manual for my new stove says to line the chase with Type X drywall. Ok, somewhat blindly I follow the instructions. Then I start thinking....

My question surrounds 2 things.

1) Moisture.
It seems to me, that not using the stove will create moisture problems. Because, when warm air becomes cold, it condenses. So, you have a cold flue, you build a fire, and now your flue becomes warm or hot. Now your chase becomes a moisture magnet because all of a sudden it was cold, and now it's warm. Tonight I observed just by being in the (empty) chase, I put 2 large lights in it (small amount of heat) and as I was insulating, I noticed a large amount of moisture on the underside of the chase top. Then it started to drip. Which led me to go take a look at the previous firestop drywall I had just removed, and yep, it was water stained, not much, but it was there. Then upon further inspection, I noticed a moisture ridden area of the OSB floor near an edge where nothing above it exhibited wet sign, like it was condensate.
So what really happens inside a chase when you start your stove up and it gets warm in there all of a sudden. I just insulated mine (R11) all the way, I tore the kraft facing off and stapled thru and used wire restraints. But before, it was uninsulated, except for the first 8'. What effect does a all of a sudden hot flue, or any hot flue, have on an insulated, and uninsulated, chase?

2) I just finished reading on Georgia Pacific's website that you are not to use Type X drywall in any situation constantly exposed to anything above 125 fahrenheit. Ok. But the manual of my new fireplace says "sheetrock your entire chase with type X drywall".
Nice, according to various things I've read and making a few calculation, my outer flue will be 60-120 degrees during normal operation. That's approaching the limits of type x drywall. I understand the nature of type x is to buy you time with the gypsum, but it's paper lined and seems to me it will create a more combustibles and more of a fire hazard in the room it's in. I think the point is to buy you time so the rest of your home doesn't burn down, but the low 125 constant temp concerns me, I think that chase will reach that temp in no time (especially if insulated, which it is now).

Please ease my mind with a days worth of hauling 5/8" type x sheetrock up a confined space in my chase as per the manual of my stoves instructions. Seems to me I just lined my chase with a bunch of combustible paper facing creating more of a fire hazard in that space.

If the pipe has the regular specified clearances it is highly doubtful that temps a few inches from it will be at 125+ constantly. The sheetrock should not be touching the outer flue - at least from what I know. Besides, consider that the working temps of hydronic (hot water) heating are 180F plus, and it is impossible for even those temps to ever light something on fire.

As to moisture, I understand your concern but - millions of installations somewhat similar to yours have been OK....even very inexpensive pre-fabs 30+ years old have rarely failed from moisture. It is possible that the chase itself (a metal pan on top) might do as you mention, in which case the solution would usually be to construct the chase with a plywood or other top with the pan over that. I would usually construct a chase that way anyway.

The flue is rarely HOT - more likely it goes from ice cold to warm, and given the volume of air in the chase I don't think that should be a big deal. It is likely to be drier in there than elsewhere.....although I would imagine that some very small ventilation of such a chase would not be a bad idea - a small vent near the bottom and one near the top.

But, again, millions of these have been put in and we don't hear of long term problems....

I had thought about the vent idea, but then I thought that air might feed a chimney fire.

The flue doesn't touch the sheetrock anywhere, it's 4 inches at it's closest, but I was more concerned with the flue heating the air in there to a constant temp. I'm not concerned with the sheetrock flashing over in that temp, it would take alot more heat for that as you mention, but just concerned with Georgia Pacific's recommnedation that the Type X not be in a space that will experience contant 125 temps.

I'm sure it'll be ok. I'm just a worry wort and like to ensure things are done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.