Proper Refinishing of older Ashley wood stove insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rocjohns

Feb 6, 2014
Louisville, KY
I just bought an older Ashley wood burning fireplace insert and would like some tips on how to refinish properly. Also, I am curious if anyone has info on the stove I bought. I seems fairly unique and was curious about age and proper usage. Anything would help. Thanks.
Ice-snow 012.JPG Ice-snow 013.JPG Ice-snow 014.JPG Ice-snow 016.JPG
Pictures included.

If you want to repaint I'd wire wheel the detailed portions and flat sand the rest. Remove all the rust, wipe clean with mineral spirits and repaint. I used stove paint in a can and rolled the flat areas and brushed the detailed spots.

Wipe with acetone, mineral spirits is oil based, or use a water based degreaser. Sand blasting would be the best way, looks pretty rusty. Nice to see these old stoves restored. Good luck

Sand blasting would be the best. Many places could do that job for maybe $100-$200. I did mine myself using a Harbor Freight Pot Blaster. Took about 50 pounds of sand and a couple of hours of my time. I blew off the stove with compressed air, vacuumed it, then wiped it down with acetone. I painted it with high temp black paint (BBQ paint). I did not bother trying to fill any rust pitting (it has plenty of that!) as this will be in my shop and used hard. You can see some pics of it here: http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/1335/Shop_Stove.htm

Reactions: GENECOP
Sand blasting would be the best. Many places could do that job for maybe $100-$200. I did mine myself using a Harbor Freight Pot Blaster. Took about 50 pounds of sand and a couple of hours of my time. I blew off the stove with compressed air, vacuumed it, then wiped it down with acetone. I painted it with high temp black paint (BBQ paint). I did not bother trying to fill any rust pitting (it has plenty of that!) as this will be in my shop and used hard. You can see some pics of it here: http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/1335/Shop_Stove.htm
Thanks Coolerman for the advice. Yours turned out really good. Did you use flat, satin, or gloss paint? Already sand blasted it and was just trying to figure out how to fill the pits in before painting so I get a smooth finish. Maybe I will paint it the way it is too.

Satin for mine. There is a product Eastwood sells called hi temp Lab Metal that will withstand 1000 degrees. http://www.eastwood.com/hi-temp-lab-metal-24-oz.html I have used it for powder coating and it works really well. Bit expensive though at $54 a can plus shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.