Proper way to take stove temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought one of those $5.00 Chinese thromometers(don't laugh this thing is Acurite ) a while back.Its just now getting cold enough here to turn "Nelly Belle" up to take some readings.I will be testing Henry County Hardwood pellets and Country Boy "White Lighting Hardwood Pellets"."Nelly Belle"is a 2006 SMOKING HOT P-38 Harman.
I've got Henry County Pellets in her now.I thought I'd take some readings with them and with out touching the dial run my White Lighting thru her.
Question is:Where is the best place to set the probe to get a good reading?On the P-38 the distribution tubes are on top of the stove.
I'II post my findings on a new thread.
Thanks Much,
Tony

I hang mine near the heat exchanger. Not touching anything. Just trying to get an air temp. Get a couple spots and get an average.

Yep ^^^^^^ Get air temp only. I get 1"-1.5" away from the exchanger and leave it in the same spot for the season.

It's accurate enough to let me know what's Hot and what's Not.

I'm using a Cole Parmer K-type thermocouple (also have a cheap China one), both work well! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.