Properly Loading a Country Flame BBF Catalyst Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SWarren

Nov 10, 2017
Missouri
So I'm new to this. I've done a lot of research (this site was extremely helpful!).

We purchased a house with a Country Flame BBF Wood Stove and a heat pump. We decided to try out the wood heat for the house. After having a sweep come out and inspect the chimney and the stove, he said everything was in good working order.

So I started a fire with some smaller wood. The size of this firebox is a bit intimidating. I'm burning well seasoned white oak (cause that's most of what grows around here) with the occasional piece of maple thrown in.

I started off with 3 splits n/s and 3 splits e/w. It lit of great, and the temp got up to 600, I engaged the catalyst and the temp rose up to 1200 fairly quickly. I shut down the air some, and it warmed the room up from 68 to 78 nicely (a bit too warm honestly).

So I've worked on getting the heat to move around the house. I've finally got a 3 degree difference in the main area and the bedrooms which I'm comfortable with.

So now the question. I've never put more than 6 splits in this stove. That fills maybe 1/6th of the firebox. Everything I read said it works best if it's fully loaded. However I'm almost afraid to fully load it, lest it gets up to 90 degrees in the house! Are my concerns incorrect? Will it handle a fully loaded fire box and the air control handle the heat appropriately (again still new to this).

For reference our outside temps right now are high of 45 during the day and low of 25-30 at night.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I don't always fill my firebox. I adjust for the time of day etc..It can probably handle but I would gradually work up. I would try and load more wood but watch the air as you don't want it to runaway and you are getting pretty high temps already.

I don't always fill my firebox. I adjust for the time of day etc..It can probably handle but I would gradually work up. I would try and load more wood but watch the air as you don't want it to runaway and you are getting pretty high temps already.

Good to know. I just wanted to be sure that by not filling it I wasn't hurting the efficiency...