Property Survey?/ Gripe with town/ thats life

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_N_ice

Aug 27, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
When we bought our house @5 years ago, the property survey we had was the previous owners from 1983. Now I want to put up a fence by using the same survey.(Note: I want the fence to protect my wood pile, but I have to care about the pool to) However, the survey looks nothing like our back yard. Went to town for approval, and because I will be protecting an above the ground pool, and they told me the law, it looks like I am way out of compliance. The pool is too close to the cement patio (6 inches, should be at least 3 feet away). Also the shed that is on the property is not on the survey. The minimum pool height by law should be 48", my lowest point is 32". In order to get this fence, I will most likely have to tear the pool down(10,000 gallons). (This will be the cheapest way out I am thinking)Yet we are still waiting for a response from the town with our question of why was the property able to sell with these violations?

Anyway thanks for letting me vent a little, now I will ask my question. What price should I expect to pay to get a new survey done. I'm in nj. Thanks Chris

Fire/Ice/Chris- Sorry to hear bout your buracratic mess...know that can be a pain.

Can't answer directly about prices of surveys in NJ- but can tell you in 2005, had my 15 acres surveyed and divided into two lots- cost $3500.00, and found 3 1/2 extra acres- total was 18+ acres ! This was in NH. Chin up !

You didn't say how large (estimate) your property is. If it is a sub acre in a development or sub-division I'd think no more than $1,000. Just a guess I came up with from my long past experience in NJ. I'm almost sure I had to at least have the last survey confirmed, a bank requirement, for my 5+ acres. I don't remember the cost, but it was not a significant issue, must have been $200 or thereabouts. The bad news? It was almost 20 years ago, so expect to pay a lot more. Again, smaller property and 5 times what I paid seems like it should cover. Hum, thinking as I type, I think it cost extra for us to have the survey "staked". We didn't, but some of the original stakes were still there and they were confirmed.

You can get a variance from any of those issues - you just have to get the town to agree. Do not be afraid to push a little bit - but talk nicely.

We got an estimate when we moved into our home about a year ago. For almost two acres, they quoted a survey price of $1500. Too rich for my blood, which is too bad 'cause we have neighbor issues.

The property survey may be just a House Location Survey. These do not have to show incedental shed structures, (but often do). For a true fence line, the property line would be required. That has much more liability and higher cost. In many jurisdictions, it is not required to build small fences. (I've always called mine a "dog retention device". No problems so far.)

Well, being from NJ, I can tell you that there is a solution to this issue. It's called the Cashectomy. The town will allow you to do what you want, but you will be surgically separated from your cash.

They don't know why the pool was approved at the time of sale. Code guy said I can take that up with the other department. (I think that arguement will be useless and time consuming, might even open up other issues). So cutting to the chase, I will remove the pool(14X24) and buy a 54" H small round pool maybe 12'W. Prices are good right now, and as we go into fall. I may just wait till Spring. Finished paperwork this am, and summitted all the forms. Peeps also said no new survey is nesasary! They will let me keep the pool up until the fence is ready to be installed.

I want to be compliant with the law. Enjoy my piece of Quiet time (my time), and protect my wood pile.
Pool has signs of wear anyway, liner has a few mini slits in it, frame is rusting maybe, plastic parts are brittle, and on 1 side the grass is a super green. Pool is at least 25 years old.
How long should a pool/ frame last and still be consider safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.