Crisputer

Nov 25, 2017
TN
Hello, I have an Englander 17-VL which has fiberboards instead of firebrick. I just ordered a complete set and I'm thinking about adding a layer of stainless steel or expanded metal to the face each of these protect them. Anyone done this before or have any reason not to do that? Thanks
AC-17BFKT.jpg

Last edited:

Highbeam

Minister of Fire
Dec 28, 2006
Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
It won't last. The thin sheet or expanded metal will fail in that intensely hot environment. The tubes that support this weight are not designed to support a thick plate either.

Heck, if it's not too expensive, give it a try. I would prefer a thin sheet like maybe 1/8". Look for it to sag, buckle, and corrode due to heat and corrosivety of the environment.

Crisputer

Nov 25, 2017
TN
It won't last. The thin sheet or expanded metal will fail in that intensely hot environment. The tubes that support this weight are not designed to support a thick plate either.

Heck, if it's not too expensive, give it a try. I would prefer a thin sheet like maybe 1/8". Look for it to sag, buckle, and corrode due to heat and corrosivety of the environment.
I'm just wanting to protect the back and sides if possible from impacts. I don't have a problem above the tubes.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I'm just wanting to protect the back and sides if possible from impacts. I don't have a problem above the tubes.
It shouldn't hurt to try but it will probably buckle unless captive. How will you hold it in place? Can you make a 90º bend on the ends?

Crisputer

Nov 25, 2017
TN
Yes sir I can! :) I was going to screw them to the channel that runs along top at the tubes. They don't have to cover the sides 100%; just cover the main parts where wood will hit. This should prevent gouging it at least. I've only burned two seasons and these boards are trash. The only thing I don't like about this stove is the cost to replace the fiberboards. Above the tubes I'm fine which is what I hear to be the problem for most people.