Protruding Hearth Bricks - How to Handle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jkmola

Oct 26, 2014
The Mitten
Below is a pic of my fireplace. I'm pretty sure I've settled on which insert I'm getting. I MIGHT have to do a little (very little) chisel work where the top corners of the insert fit. It's gonna be close.

My issue is the bricks that form the arch portion stick out 1" farther than the rest. The surround will cover the arch, but then there will be a one inch gap around the edges. Should I just take some 1" square stock, paint it to match best I can and stick behind the surround? What other options might you suggest?

ry%3D400

Below is a pic of my fireplace. I'm pretty sure I've settled on which insert I'm getting. I MIGHT have to do a little (very little) chisel work where the top corners of the insert fit. It's gonna be close.

My issue is the bricks that form the arch portion stick out 1" farther than the rest. The surround will cover the arch, but then there will be a one inch gap around the edges. Should I just take some 1" square stock, paint it to match best I can and stick behind the surround? What other options might you suggest?
I would chip them flush after you put in a insert there is no good reason to go back to the fireplace
ry%3D400

st: 1806475, member: 38206"]Below is a pic of my fireplace. I'm pretty sure I've settled on which insert I'm getting. I MIGHT have to do a little (very little) chisel work where the top corners of the insert fit. It's gonna be close.

ry%3D400
[/quote]
Chip them flush, I

You could get a diamond wheel for an angle grinder and cut the protruding brick away where needed for your insert to sit flush. Will be VERY dusty. The wheel sounds expensive... diamond.... But they aren't that bad.

Lots of options including place it and see how it looks? Cut the existing brick to allow a flush fit(the angle grinder and stone wheel are not really expensive) or fill as you described with square stock or even angle. Another option if you have some brick that matches or remains from the original fire place is to cut bricks to fill the gap.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. You've given me several viable options. I'll mull over the pros/cons of each. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.