Proud New Owner of a Used Lopi Revere

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

loquinho

Nov 3, 2009
Richmond, VA
Well, I found an incredible deal about 2 hours away. A Lopi Revere going for $500. I found out from the seller after the deal was done that about 10 people contacted them within an hour, and I just happened to be the first. The owners bought their house 2 years ago, and decided they didn't want a wood stove anymore.

I'd been on the lookout for this model ever since I bought my house 8 years ago. It's a 1999 manufacture, but it looks to be in good condition. I think I'm going to need to do at least a partial repaint before I install it in our fireplace.

I found out after committing to purchasing it that my wife has never lived in a house with a wood stove, and she's not looking forward to having it installed, because she loves the open fireplace when it's cold in the winter. The crackles and pops of the fire and being able to roast marshmallows. I'm not sure how to convince her without just installing the thing and seeing what she thinks.

But here it is. I took some brasso to the bottom half of the door this morning to see how it cleans up. We'll probably patina the door, since my wife isn't a fan of the shiny gold look of polished brass.

uc_-RukKGTYNQ5OQNZHlnMIOVcDmiTCKD9uEMFIGlD1jdeseW_fLVSfq1toUgnyx88O-Io_qcxzeY_AXaI9=w851-h638-no.jpg

Congratulations! We love our Revere.

Lopi does sell a screen that you can put in front of the open door and run the insert like a fireplace with the bypass damper open. If your wife really misses open fires, that may be an option. When we bought our insert, we talked about getting one because my husband was a fireplace kind of guy. We've never done it in the six years since.

I don't know if you have any seasoned wood on hand, but if you don't, you're in a prime location to get a compressed wood product called Liberty Bricks. They heat well but aren't as aesthetically pleasing as a nice cordwood fire. We are using some this year so that I don't need to haul so much wood into the house while I'm trying to rest an injured rotator cuff.

Enjoy that new insert once you get it installed.