PS40 firepot issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mikec2003

Jan 19, 2022
Barton, NY
I picked up this stove used about 2 years ago. Seemed fine last season. This season, the firepot seems to fill with ash very easily, which of course results in a lazy flame after a few hours and sooty glass.

It's my understanding that the combustion blower should blow out the firepot every now and again, and it seems like that is not happening. Thinking it may be a vacuum leak, I replaced the door seal and the ash tray seal, with no improvement. I havent tried different pellets since im sitting on 2 tons of pellets (Barefoot brand)

The stove is a 2006 model year. Is it possible firepots just go bad over time? it is a bit old with a bit of rust. The holes in it seem clear, but should they be drilled out or something every once in a while?

I'm getting a little tired of having such a lazy and inefficient fire, I know it's bad for pellet consumption. When the pot is cleaned out, the fire is nice and good for probably 10-12 hours.

I have the draft control about halfway in, and the exhaust pipe is pretty short. About a 2 foot run to exit the house, then a 90 degree upward bend, and another 2 foot run upwards, with a water cap.

I did do a deep cleaning a few days ago, hoping that would be the problem.

I have not cleaned the exhaust piping, as I don't have the brush for it. Do they get that dirty that they need to be cleaned out often?

I could take the water cap off the end of the exhaust and rig up the shop vac? think that would work?

Oh, it occasionally has an error where the red light goes to a fast blink and a slow blink, which indicates a vaccuum problem, but a reset and it usually goes away, not sure if that's related or not.

last year the stove ran quite well. lets hope it's just a dirty exhaust pipe.

This is my leaf blower setup. Had an extra one in the garage. Used a PVC reducer so it slides inside my 3" exhaust pipe.

Makes cleaning the vent quick and easy.

LeafBLower.JPG