PSW Generator - Less than 200 dollars

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have 2.One still in box in shed, one I prepped,broke in and ran Harman on it for a few hours,seemed fine.
I may never need them, but cheap insurance.

I would think so, if the fuel tank is big enough. Your stove doesn't draw any more than my Accentra. Starting and stopping,using igniter, would shorten run time,I'm sure. I only tested the one I prepped for a few hours,started stove,turned to manual,tried different fan and heat settings.Fuel tank has a clseable vent,so filed it(none ethanol) added some sta-bil,and stuck it in a corner for emergencies.

Thanks. I have a bigger portable generator (champion) that only has one 120v. This would be perfect easier to maneuver as well. I only run a few hours at a when needed. Heck of a deal.

Agree pure sine wave at that price, seems to be a good deal. I'd get one but already have a pure sine wave Champion generator..

I thought it was great deal too. Will set it up and run it for test and drain and put away hopefully never to get used. I need way to run power cord thru OAK (Outside Air Kit) Pipe and leave extension cord hanging. Or just stuff towels in sliding door? What does everyone do when you need to use Generator to power Pellet Stove? I have 12 hours of Battery Power. Generator is for longer time and it will charge the Inverter/Charger/Batteries I hope and run the Pellet Stove.

I will have to lookup AIMS1250 and see how many watts it draws while charging batteries.
Nothing in Manual I can understand or find.

IMG_20210119_064841867.jpg

For my current generator, I just start it up, plug the stove into the only 120v it hash with extension cord. Runs until I turn it off. No issue.

This other option will allow me to either run the stove or refrigerator along with some chargers.

I thought it was great deal too. Will set it up and run it for test and drain and put away hopefully never to get used. I need way to run power cord thru OAK (Outside Air Kit) Pipe and leave extension cord hanging. Or just stuff towels in sliding door? What does everyone do when you need to use Generator to power Pellet Stove? I have 12 hours of Battery Power. Generator is for longer time and it will charge the Inverter/Charger/Batteries I hope and run the Pellet Stove.
You could use something like this to feed into the house, this outside and an outlet inside..

I bought one a few years back when home depot had it for $149, I broke it in, I used it overnight to run my accentra 52i all night on the tank of gas which is amazing economy wise instead of my whole house unit running for that and a fridge/freezer. However the bad came , I went to start and use it about 3 months later and out of nowhere the engine starting using tons of oil(was not overfull as is the common issue). Its still worth it as its only $150 which is cheaper than the alternative of frozen pipes etc for many that don't have the whole house on a generator.

I will have to lookup AIMS1250 and see how many watts it draws while charging batteries.
Nothing in Manual I can understand or find.

View attachment 290430
As for a way to power just that outlet or circuit , a small transfer switch such as this :

EZ transfer switch

I have my whole house on an interlock for a 240v generator since I have a 240v well pump(the only 240v device in the house other than the dryer) I have adapters to take a smaller generator to run both legs on the same phase of 120 to conserve fuel in longer outages and in your situation you could do the same, just pick and choose which breakers are on in your panel. It also makes more sense that if you do decide to do the whole house later its ready to go , just add larger generator.

I already have 7kw Generator and Transfer Panel. I like the outside outside plan.

Attachments

• Transfer Switch.pdf
    395 KB · Views: 111
I already have 7kw Generator and Transfer Panel. I like the outside outside plan.
Nice, if the circuit is included on that, you probably can just buy or make an adapter to go from the 15 amp NEMA plug to the twistlock plug . You can choose to power both phases or just the phase the stove is on and utilize the existing outlet in the house via the transfer switch if that circuit is wired.

That would work I bet. Just us the 1k Generator to power the pellet stove. Put it on Laundry Room Porch and run the wire thru hole is wall we have for 7k generator and see if adapter for what is there now. Will research it. Towels in doorway not the best method for long term. Only downside is lose the 7k Generator. Not that it is useful for Pellet Stove.

This is what is in the Closet from Transfer Panel. We have Extension that we run when needed thru wall (POC Pipe with Caps on Ends). Is there adapter for 110v Cord for this?

IMG_20220122_110216516.jpg

So no such thing as

NEMA L14-30P to ELECTRIC PLUG, 110-V, to 3-PRONG cable?​

No biggie if no such thing. Hate to lose 7k Generator by using Transfer Panel for little 1k Generator. Can always run 1k PSW Generator on back porch and run extension cord to pellet stove Inverter/Charger. Stuff some towels in the slider opening we create and Win/Win.

Transfer Panel does have 110v 3 Prong Outlet on front of it. I assume it's not for Input. Manual Says Nothing about it. Transfer Panel Instructions are few messages back. This is the same model. https://www.ebay.com/itm/4034070422...=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&ufes_redirect=true

That 110 outlet is for powering lights and small stuff. Not Input. Back to Towels and Extension Cord. hey it's not going to be used. Any other suggestions?

Emer Gen Switch Transfer Switch Model 10-7500 7500 Watt Max​

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Got it figured out. Will run 100ft extension cord thru wall to the Inverter/Charger/Pellet Stove if we ever go there. Easy and no costs. In 10 years have yet to have power outage over 10 hours. Or use 7kw Generator.

This is what is in the Closet from Transfer Panel. We have Extension that we run when needed thru wall (POC Pipe with Caps on Ends). Is there adapter for 110v Cord for this?

View attachment 290468

They do make an adapter but you get the same phase down each leg of the panel meaning only 120v circuits will function or be useable and on a small generator just lights and such realistically.

15amp to l14-30p -Home Depot
I assume you are afraid to run your stove off the 7kw generator due to power quality concerns?

Got it figured out. Will run 100ft extension cord thru wall to the Inverter/Charger/Pellet Stove if we ever go there. Easy and no costs. In 10 years have yet to have power outage over 10 hours. Or use 7kw Generator.

That or an outdoor enclosure with a male plug and a direct outlet to the back of the stove , minimal costs.

You're lucky in that regard...I've been in this house 5 years and have been without power at least once a year for 1-3 days and a few times over a week.

I've got the inverter with the deep cycle agm battery (200ah) which in theory should buy me 14- 16 hours or so based upon the power draw but its more or less if the power flickers or drops out for short amounts of time.

It suppose to be Computer Friendly. But not PSW.
7kW Dual-Mode
backupgenerator unit
Model 40248

Why I wanted and ordered PSW Generator. We have really reliable power. One outage so far this Winter. 45 minutes and stove was off (it's been warm 35f or more).

Attachments

• 40248Powernowunit.pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 95
It suppose to be Computer Friendly. But not PSW.
7kW Dual-Mode
backupgenerator unit
Model 40248

Why I wanted and ordered PSW Generator. We have really reliable power. One outage so far this Winter. 45 minutes and stove was off (it's been warm 35f or more).
I would get the THD specs on it , I'm assuming its less than 6% if it is computer safe. That unit should be pure sine wave as its not an inverter type and simply a generator head running at 3600 rpm to get 60hz. Rotating assemblies create a sine wave but the important part is the THD of that waveform. You may be all set in that regard and only want to use the smaller unit during extended outages to conserve propane unless you have natural gas piped in to your home.

I would get the THD specs on it , I'm assuming its less than 6% if it is computer safe. That unit should be pure sine wave as its not an inverter type and simply a generator head running at 3600 rpm to get 60hz. Rotating assemblies create a sine wave but the important part is the THD of that waveform. You may be all set in that regard and only want to use the smaller unit during extended outages to conserve propane unless you have natural gas piped in to your home.
Says in Sheet it's Computer Safe, but no specs. I assume it's not. Model is 040248. Obsolete now. Not willing to try it. Besides it's only for if the power goes out more than 12 hours anyway. Just stacking the deck just in case. Better to do it now then we you need it. Small Generator will be great for short term more than 12 hours. If it can handle charging batteries and run pellet stove that would be nice. Big one has 1 real purpose, Deep Well Pump.

You can buy a wall pass though plug at most places that sell generators for cheap.. Install it by your pellet stove and your done.. Just looks like a outdoor plug on the outside and a indoor plug on the inside. I was going to do this when i had mine

Reactions: tlc1976
One of the options. I have PVC pipe with caps in closet for Big Generator (7kw). Will just use that and run extension cord down the hall for now. Will do test when I have new generator. I hope never to use it anyway. Have yet to use 7kw Generator for real. 10 years now. Just cheap insurance. 7kw Generator says it can run computers. But I know it's not PSW. Why gamble? Winter power here is very reliable. Wind is the Enemy on main transmission lines. To the house it's all buried line.

Just ordered mine today. This will be perfect, a small efficient generator just big enough to keep the stove going in winter without burning a bunch of expensive propane with my generac. That power pass through is a nice idea.

Last outage was just over 2 days and I went through over 3 months worth of propane in that time. After that I was determined to find a more efficient way. My power company has a live map of outages, how many each one affects, and when crews are assigned. So it’s pretty easy to tell if it’s it’s gonna be hours or days.

Reactions: Mt Bob
Put Oil in mine yesterday and the smallest amount of Gas in it and tested it with Heat Gun and Pellet Stove. I found out it's too small to run my Inverter/Charger and Pellet Stove (AIMS1250). No Biggie anyway. I figure if I need it the 7kw Generator will do that. (Charge the Batteries). Ran forever on couple ounces of Gas. Quiet too. Hopefully never will use it. We have 12 hours of Run Time for Pellet Stove with couple of 100ah Batteries. You have to remove side panel to get to oil plug. that could be better. Started right away.