Puchased home with lopi 520 stove. few questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sleeperls

Oct 7, 2016
kansas
Ive never had a home stove before. Its a lopi 520.

i took everything apart and cleaned etc. brushed the pipe and its all clean as a whistle. polished it up and its tonight was my first chance for a fire.

20161007_004115_zps3um9xu0s.jpg

Now for the question. i understand the bottom draft controls but what is the purpose of the upper one? I assume only when opening doors? when should it be open? Thanks a bunch.

20161007_004104_zpskbqfhti1.jpg

The upper control is for the secondary air. Start the stove with the primary wide open. Once the fire gets going well open up the secondary air control. Then start closing down the primary air control leaving the secondary air open until there are no flames and coaling only.
The manual for the 520 is here:
http://www.lopistoves.com/TravisDocs/93508000.pdf

Well done. Burn dry wood and the stove will provide good heat.

do i leave the secondary open overnight? Ive been leaving the bottom barely cracked and the secondary wide open.

Not comfortable for a overnight burn yet but usually some hot coals are still there before bed.

No harm in leaving the secondary open overnight. Closing it while there are just hot coals left and no flame is ok too and might extend the burn time a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.