Pulled out all attic insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
Yup! This was on Easter, with a friend we pulled down all the blown in original 1930-40s? Insulation in my attic in anticipation for a major, 2nd story addition/ renovation. Filled 10yd dumpster with the stuff. Well now the reality is this probably won't happen until after winter. Great!
my thought is to just lay batts of whatever r value fiberglass will end up in new attic ceiling/roof across the attic floor for now, then remove and bag it to be used in new renovation. The attic floor is 3/4" pine planks. I won't be able to get complete coverage, is this a waste of time?
Thanks
Rob

Something is better than nothing, but you are a better man than I for handling that stuff more than once. Have an extra cord of wood on hand for this winter.

If it was me, I'd lay down all the big blankets of insulation for the winter. Sounds like a great solution till you get through winter.

Figure out how much beer and pizza it'll take to get your buddies to frame in the addition. Insulate once.

Reactions: TresK3
I think by the time you bag it up and try and reuse it, it will be squished and no longer provide the R value. Bats are relatively inexpensive. And although its nice to not be wasteful Im sure you can save money elsewhere for less pain. Heck start clipping coupons.

Reactions: vinny11950
IMHO, its important to deal with any air infiltration temporarily. Get some bulk cans of foam and go to town. Generally when runnng heat loss calcs infiltration is the biggy. Ideally you want to reduce convective heat flow which means sealing the top of the rafters with a sheet of plastic. Its not ideal but a thick dead air space is better than none at all. Large sheets of cardboard laid on the rafters also works but in both cases remember that if there is a fire and its gets in the air spaces its bad news. Definitely up your wood pile.

if your going to be handling it 2x get the non fiberglass stuff you will thank yourself in the end. Then during reno's you can just stack it any ware without worrying about the fibers going through the house. Definitely have to get something up their

Thanks everyone, this is going to be a major Reno. We’ll keep the majority of the first floor studs, rest will be new, including the addition of 2nd floor. This is too much for me to handle.
Plus this will require plans, permits and inspections. I’m hopefully not doing anything except reinstalling my stove, into existing fireplace!
I like the plastic idea, maybe I’ll lay plastic down then lay bats on top. Hopefully whatever I use I can save when insulation contractor shows up.