Rob711 Posted By Rob711, Jul 30, 2018 at 11:31 AM

1. Rob711

Rob711
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Long Island, ny
    Yup! This was on Easter, with a friend we pulled down all the blown in original 1930-40s? Insulation in my attic in anticipation for a major, 2nd story addition/ renovation. Filled 10yd dumpster with the stuff. Well now the reality is this probably won't happen until after winter. Great!
    my thought is to just lay batts of whatever r value fiberglass will end up in new attic ceiling/roof across the attic floor for now, then remove and bag it to be used in new renovation. The attic floor is 3/4" pine planks. I won't be able to get complete coverage, is this a waste of time?
    Thanks
    Rob

2. Rob711

Rob711
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Long Island, ny
  3. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Something is better than nothing, but you are a better man than I for handling that stuff more than once. Have an extra cord of wood on hand for this winter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sportbikerider78

sportbikerider78
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jun 23, 2014
    Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    If it was me, I'd lay down all the big blankets of insulation for the winter. Sounds like a great solution till you get through winter.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2006
    Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Figure out how much beer and pizza it'll take to get your buddies to frame in the addition. Insulate once.

TresK3 likes this.
  6. moey

moey
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 12, 2012
    Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I think by the time you bag it up and try and reuse it, it will be squished and no longer provide the R value. Bats are relatively inexpensive. And although its nice to not be wasteful Im sure you can save money elsewhere for less pain. Heck start clipping coupons.

vinny11950 likes this.
  7. peakbagger

peakbagger
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 11, 2008
    Loc:
    Northern NH
    IMHO, its important to deal with any air infiltration temporarily. Get some bulk cans of foam and go to town. Generally when runnng heat loss calcs infiltration is the biggy. Ideally you want to reduce convective heat flow which means sealing the top of the rafters with a sheet of plastic. Its not ideal but a thick dead air space is better than none at all. Large sheets of cardboard laid on the rafters also works but in both cases remember that if there is a fire and its gets in the air spaces its bad news. Definitely up your wood pile.

8. zrock

zrock
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Dec 2, 2017
    Loc:
    bc
    if your going to be handling it 2x get the non fiberglass stuff you will thank yourself in the end. Then during reno's you can just stack it any ware without worrying about the fibers going through the house. Definitely have to get something up their

9. Rob711

Rob711
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Oct 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Long Island, ny
    Thanks everyone, this is going to be a major Reno. We’ll keep the majority of the first floor studs, rest will be new, including the addition of 2nd floor. This is too much for me to handle.
    Plus this will require plans, permits and inspections. I’m hopefully not doing anything except reinstalling my stove, into existing fireplace!
    I like the plastic idea, maybe I’ll lay plastic down then lay bats on top. Hopefully whatever I use I can save when insulation contractor shows up.